Skip to main content
Topic: Starting fresh (Read 22675 times) previous topic - next topic

Starting fresh

A very long story short, I'm starting over with a new bird I dont like a lot of the things I did to the original car or better yet how I went about doing things. I found one that fit most of my needs fairly well. It doesn't run yet and has been sitting a very long time and needs virtually everything under it replaced. That's no big deal for me. Ive been amassing parts for a while now. The goal is to transfer all my suspension goodies under it some new and some of the stuff I already have. Subframe connectors, jacking rails seat braces ECT.  Then swap the heads and cam on my 302 toss a fitech kit at it and go.

The car is a 88 sport red on red. 90k on the clock supposedly the body is 90% rust free and aside from being faded all to hell the interior is pretty mint.

Re: Starting fresh

Reply #1
Hopefully a nice solid foundation for you to build on.

You going to keep it the same color? Tu-tone is always an option.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
I'm gonna rock that red for a while, but ultimately it will be tu-tone lava red and semigloss black and sitting on these

Reply #3
Problem #1 ignition switch. Problem 2# no fuel. I'm asuming it's the pump I have one on order so that's not a big deal probably be here by the end of the week

Reply #4
Progress for the day fuel tank is out ignition switch I swapped in from the other bird. Traced all the wiring to make sure everything was working fuel wise and it seems to be. I ordered a new fuel pump hanger cause this one is toast. Tank is nasty inside but I'm sure a pressure washer will take care of most of it. I just want it to run. I don't care how good at the moment lol just needs to move around under its own power for the time being.

Reply #5
Well fuel tank 1 pressure washer 0. So I got that on order now. Theres no way I'm going to get all that crud out at least I tried so thats at a standstill until the tank and hanger show up and I source a level sending unit cause thats just as nasty. So I started cleaning the other car out in the meantime started listing some non tbird extra parts on FB marketplace to try and make a few bucks towards the project. :dunno:  I swapped the new bullitts onto the old car to sell the 17s meh just figuring out what I got now. Then the real work starts. stripping the calico car is going to be easy but relocating all the parts in the red one is going to be a little more refined lol and planned out better. I'm planning on going back to front after its able to be moved under its own power. We'll be cooking with gas then.

I also got a shipment of goodies today too :headbang:

Reply #6
How did the inside of the tank get that rusty?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
 :dunno: it sat with a full tank of gas for 15+ years

Reply #8
Ethanol fuel is the worst.

Reply #9
Were they even putting ethanol in gas 15 years ago?

Looks like some watery shiznit, for sure, but that could mean ethanol...we all know how alcohol absorbs water.

What size are your Bullitts?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #10
Something lol. I dont need to worry too much though everythings going to be new. I got the hanger today the tank will be here Monday sometime. Then just have to get the level sending unit and she should be ready to run. I'm not concerned about how it runs it just needs to move into the shade of the garage for now so I can tinker with it and swap my stuff over to it without turning into a sundried tomato. Suspension first. Motor and tranny follows. I'll do some maintenance to the 5.0 to get it going but I'm not doing anything drastic. I want to drive it.

And Beau they're 18's probably 18x9 I'm not sure. 275/40/18

I got some more stuff pillaged from the calico. The motor and tranny are ready to pull aside from a few various connections up top. By the time I have the other mobile I'll be ready to swap the diffs and all that noise. Just taking my time waiting on the rest of my parts to show up

Reply #11
Mine are 17", and I think 9" wide, not for certain though.
Rears are 275/40, fronts are 245/45, on my '87 Stang...fit perfect, don't think I could any more tire in the back without rolling the fenders..

Might be the angle of the pic, but those look like they stick out some. What spindle you runnin'? 94-5, or 96+?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #12
96+ but my fender is just barely sitting there

Reply #13
Got the engine and trans out today along with stripping pretty much the rest of the car. Rear end is just about out. All thats left is the front end and lers for the most part. The tank showed up for the red car. The hanger and pump are here now to wait for the level sending unit everything else is here then it's time to swap stuff around. Mainly just the rear for now so I can get the skeleton of the other car out and make it disappear. To make room for the new one to get in and receive its new legs.

Reply #14
:like:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6