Skip to main content
Topic: Need help tracking down a wire.  (Read 1291 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help tracking down a wire.

Have a 83’ LS 5.0 no air conditioning. Soon as I select Air the fuse pops.  Pulled the clutch wire, popped.  On the low pressure switch. There is 3 wires one black that goes to the clutch. The other black has a fuseable link. Took that as the hot side. Removed the link  jumped the switch , clutch engages but wire gets hot. Goes to another harness with 2 blacks. The one there gets hot is the one going back to the fire wall. Not sure where it goes or what it’s for. But it’s pushing 100 with hi humidity so it needs repaired.

Re: Need help tracking down a wire.

Reply #1
Maybe this will help.

Reply #2
So the way I'm looking at it the black wires are the ground and 12v is supplied thru the green.  There is no diode at the clutch Ali GM style.......down on that wire that was hot. Is a thing a Bob then a useable link. Wondering if a diode is faulty. Thanks immensely.

Reply #3
I would check to see if the A/C clutch coil has an internal short to ground causing the fuse to blow when you send power to the clutch.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #4
The A/C clutch diode on my '84 was not near the clutch connector, where you would expect it to be.
It is a gray plastic thing about 2 inches long hanging down from the cable harness along side the head.
It may have gotten too close to the exhaust manifold and melted.

I have a picture of it in a file on my computer but I don't know how to attach it with this new forum setup.
Looks like it would have to be on the internet with a URL.

Reply #5
@softtouch, in the Quick Reply below, click the 'Preview' button. It will take you to a new page where you can reply and also add images at the bottom. The board software will add the image(s) inline.

Reply #6
Well it turned out someone removed the diode. Noticed in the drawling the bk thru diode to Bk/y to the pressure switch. Also on the connector where the greens are joined to were melted. Car has AC however it has left me stranded at McDonald’s Drive thru embarrassing to say the least. Then yesterday in middle of a intersection. Both dead batteries. Also if you even think about lifting off the gas it instantly dies. So was nice to have Luke warm air.

Reply #7
Thanks Eric