Skip to main content
Topic: My 88 TC build (Read 2652 times) previous topic - next topic

My 88 TC build

Bored so writing a little thread on my car, Then and Now.

Long time ago my dad bought an 88 TC, I was told if I helped him rebuild the motor I could have it for my first car. Well we got it together and long story short he liked it alot and I ended up with a 81 el camino.....
After working my first job though I found this.

She was apart and had been for a couple years in a barn. I got that car and

For 800. The blue one had a rebuilt motor and just had all new interior done for it.

So I drove and and loved it, and eventually upgraded it.

.30 over block with Crower Rods and Diamon pistons, hand ported NA head that I machined the chambers on the head out to a whatever turbo heads CC was (don't remember been awhile.) Also ported head, upper, and lower intake with 65mm TB and Bo-Port 1.5 cam.

Some megasquirt

Intercooler

Shifter

Torque Converter

New Turbo, had to rebuild

Action shot

Pic before I cleaned everything up, just got it running
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

My 88 TC build

Reply #1
After driving this for about a year I didn't like it. Either no power or 3k rpm and balls to the wall insanity. All the wiring in this car is trash as well and I always wanted to build a car that was "mine" pretty much from the ground up so I started with a motor of the least logical places to start :P. I reused my C4 I built with a full manual VB, below is build pics.

From a 90 mustang GT.

Goodies to make her breath (AFR 185 heads 58cc)

Stick with Bumps on it

Billet HEI Distributor

Home for all goodies

Stroker crank in new home, if you look at the skirts you can see where I clearanced it. The block has no paint on it as it was literally 15 degrees in the garage when I built the motor.

Stroker guts plus Timing Gears

Belly up, the relocator went away, was originally going to run remote for cooling but ended up sing.

Finished product. Only took about 3 days after I finally started.

Business end of things.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

My 88 TC build

Reply #2
Start up, open headers (1 5/8th equal length long tube, 3 inch dump)
Not sure why my Dad is reving the shiznit out of it but *shrug* guess 5 year old in him was calling since I had it on vid
View My Video

Idle vid, I know its rough but I live 3 hours away from it and when I do visit I usually just drive it. Next step is to clean it up inside and out, right now its function over form.
View My Video

My 88 TC build

Reply #3
Goal: Custom built car that I can call mine. Mostly want off idle to mid throttle accell and handling.

Future Plans:
Fuel Injection
AOD
Suspension
Supercharger

I just ordered 500 dollars worth of suspension stuff, which I will try to get on there in the next month. It costs me a minimum of 120 in gas just to make it to my Dad's shop, so it looks like it is going to be hit or miss for awhile on it. Bad thing is I've only had this car about 3 years and have probably put over 10k in it in the form of motors/transmissions lol, and thats just in parts as we do 99% of everything at the shop.

Current Setup:
331 Stroker (Carb'd)
3.73 Gears
C4 (full manual reverse VB)
255 Wahlbro FP
2 1/2 exhaust
March Pulleys for PS and Alt. (don't fit worth  and not sure why)

My 88 TC build

Reply #4
Well I finished the fuel system this weekend and removed about 20 lbs of wiring. The blue fittings have been replaced, all wire on the passenger side has been cleaned up. Will update when it runs, may still be a week or so out, depends on when I go down again

Next goal is converting to hydroboost and killing off that electronic brake system, I'm afraid of its wiring and its life span.

My 88 TC build

Reply #5
NICE! i have the same basic setup on top of the 408's in my capri and blue tc.. love the way it looks and performs compared to stock style injunktion setups.. it's just a larger hit in the wallet lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

My 88 TC build

Reply #6
Wow Carl.  Quite the build.  I wish I had AFR heads and the Mass Flo system.  :)

Please post up pics/vids when you start that thing!!!

My 88 TC build

Reply #7
Lol Carl, where'd that name come from?

I apologize for the quality and under my hood looks better, this was pre fuel injection right after motor was in car.
Idle Vid:
View My Video

Open header run after rings were settled:
View My Video

My 88 TC build

Reply #8
Ok will post an update to this hopefully after this weekend, things were in flux for a bit but everything calmed down. Car is now driven almost every weekend and all the gremlins are behaving for the most part. I just put the interior all together (I had to cut my center console up a bit but think I'll be making a new one.) It breaks up a bit under load at higher rpm and is to start after it is hot, think I'll pull some timing to help with that. Next project is change torque convertor and starter and fix the trans leak. From what I can see its leaking where the tail shaft bolts together.

Wants but not needed:
Strut tower brace
Subframe connectors (not installed but in possesion)

SOOOON:
Headlights and relay in harness(this weekend or next)
Trans leak / starter / torque convertor (When jeep and motorcycle get out from under/off lift)
17" rims and tires
Paint, either factory blue with silver stripes or flat blue.

My 88 TC build

Reply #9
Also trying to decide if I'm keeping my manual vb or not, if shifts super hard and chirps tires all the time which has already gotten me in trouble a couple of times.