Skip to main content
Topic: There's Another Cougar in Town! (Read 4141 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: There's Another Cougar in Town!

Reply #15
Eric,
PM sent.

Reply #16
Thought I'd also share about the weird vibe I got from the guys in the shop when I went to the front desk and asked if I could go to the car and take some pics.  They kinda wanted to say no, but then reluctantly agreed.  But once out there, the guy with me wanted to show me everything about the car.  He was actually helping me take the pics.  Such a clean car!  It has less than 70k miles, interior is as near perfect for a 33 year old car as I've ever seen (leather was still smooth as a baby's butt).  Under the hood looked like the day it was built, too.  It didn't seem to have too many options, besides the leather (and factory or not sunroof), beyond my GS.  No EATC, no auto headlights, no keyless entry, no passenger power seat, no graphic EQ.  I sent Eric the pics I took, and I'm hoping he can attach them to the thread.  Later.

Reply #17
Photos below. Looks aftermarket. Interesting with the sliding cover and the dome light....wondering how exactly that works LOL.

Reply #18
I think its aftermarket too, doesnt look much like the moonroof on any of the 87-8's that I've ever seen.

On a collector car, aftermarket hole in the roof is a full stop deal breaker for getting any serious money out of it.  For a non-collector car, just an older but clean driver, no biggie as long as it doesnt leak and you dont break the glass in a hail storm, etc because replacement might be tricky or a full custom deal.

Ita my understanding that there were quite a few of the aftermarket sunroof manufacturers back in the 70's,80's and early 90's.  Its also my understanding that almost all of them are out of business and replacement parts impossible to source. Everything, glass, slide rails, seals, etc would be custom fit at this point.

Reply #19
Well there's always Sunroof Doctor...
http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/Electric-In-built-Sunroof-Parts_c_34.html

But you're right, if something breaks then you're up a deep creek. I had an opportunity not long ago to get a mint '87 Cougar with very low miles. Car was two-tone taupe (okay), a few dings (fixable), 3.8L V6 (sigh), and wire hubcaps (changeable). Then there was the aftermarket moonroof. It broke the deal for me. I just didn't want to deal with it, either now or later. Even though Ford is horrid with parts support there's still eBay and boneyards and swap meets for factory parts if they're needed. The same really can't be said for aftermarket parts.

I still want to know how that dome light works...if it does work. Those were bolted to the roof structure originally, and the mounting bolts also acted as the ground. Yet this cover slides over it. Maybe it's fastened to the headliner with a ground wire going to the light...? Seems pretty odd.

Reply #20
I haven't seen a Fox Bird or Cougar around here in literally years.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..