Skip to main content
Topic: running 99+ stang twin pistons calipers on 95 spindles (Read 4365 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: running 99+ stang twin pistons calipers on 95 spindles

Reply #15
I have the dual piston caliper on my '87 Stang with the stock (for now) booster...still have drums out back. It whoas down ok for me.

'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #16
If you are going to convert the entire brake package over to the Cobra specs this has been hashed out a couple of times on here.

You already have the 94-95 spindles mounted so the front is a unbolt and bolt up as far as the rotor and caliper go. The soft lines are a different story. I am aware of the 99-04 calipers having two different thread pitches and the Cobra calipers also have two different thread pitches. Most refer to this as fine or coarse thread. Make sure you know which ones you have as it sucks not having the right parts when doing a project.

Rear calipers on the SN95 cars (94-04) are identical. The difference between the GT/V6 cars and the Cobras is the caliper mounting bracket. If you have the calipers off of a GT/V6 you can buy the caliper brackets or at least you used to be able to from Autozone and the like. Other than the obvious rotor diameter difference you will need the axle bracket that bolts to the axle  as it’s different for the Cobra brakes. This is what the caliper bracket bolts to.

The M2300M kit does not have the Cobra caliper brackets so you will have to source those either on existing calipers taken off a Cobra or else where if you already have the SN95 rear calipers with the GT/V6 brackets.

Being you are going to the added expense of the larger Cobra setup you should run SS braided lines as they will make a difference in line pressure getting to the caliper as they will not swell like the rubber lines.

You should also gut the factory combination valve and install a manual brake bias adjuster.  Here is what you have to do on the combination valve:

I have a full set of Hawk HPS pads with about 2500 miles on them and a brand new set of Hawk HPS Plus pads that I would sell. These are fairly aggressive pads and the HPS will dust slightly and the Plus will dust. These are for more “spirited” driving that requires some serious slow down and quick.

If you want a really good street pad I would recommend the StopTech street pads or the EBC Ultimax2 pads.  They will not have the stopping power of the Hawks but they are 10x better than the parts store garbage.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #18
wow that's a lot of info!
i have the brackets coming as well. luckily a guy on amazon has posted about his conversion and linked the brackets in the review of the m2300m kit.
i look into the combo valve.
also have all the stainless lines coming from CJ.

changing brake line nuts isnt a big deal. but i think i had to do it when i put on the mustang brakes hoses when i first converted.  but again not worried. car isnt moving... still need to do the heater core.

thanks for info!
Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird Turbo Coupe
1989 Cougar XR7
1995  Ranger Splash

Reply #19
Heater Core Replacement:

https://www.coolcats.net/repairing/heatercore.html

I would suggest that you get the Motorcraft heater core but they are no longer in production so you may be stuck with an aluminum aftermarket unit.  Ford P/N on the heater core is E9LY-18476-A and the Motorcraft P/N is HC-5.

Found this video out on YouTube but did not watch all of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO-96rk_m2c

Reply #20
Heater Core Replacement:

https://www.coolcats.net/repairing/heatercore.html

I would suggest that you get the Motorcraft heater core but they are no longer in production so you may be stuck with an aluminum aftermarket unit.  Ford P/N on the heater core is E9LY-18476-A and the Motorcraft P/N is HC-5.

Found this video out on YouTube but did not watch all of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO-96rk_m2c

I did my 88 a few  years ago.  Just follow the instructions on coolcats and take your time.  I was able to get the motorcraft on rockauto, but they are long gone now.
Mike

Reply #21
Just an FYI, it appears the heater core for an 80-88 Bird/Cougar is the same heater core as the one for an 79-93 Mustang and the 84-92 Lincoln Mark VII.  I double checked this at the parts store and the same part number shows for all of them.

Reply #22
When I changed out the heater core on my 88 many years ago, I got an original Motorcraft part AND I took it to a radiator shop and had it pressure tested before installing it. Cost maybe $10, money well spent I thought considering the time required to install it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.