Skip to main content
Topic: HO Upgrade  (Read 1072 times) previous topic - next topic

HO Upgrade

Hello,

I'm new here and am looking for several Mustang GT parts.

The year range is: 87-93.

Looking for:
  • E7TE-AA heads
  • HO GT Cam
  • HO GT Upper Intake
  • 65mm Throttle Body
  • HO GT Cam

• I'm upgrading a 1984 5.0L LS Cougar and these parts will help with a mild performance upgrade.

Thank you!

Re: HO Upgrade

Reply #1
    I may have a cam and TB but I can’t check until Saturday.
    87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
     S O L D

Reply #2
    I've got a couple HO cams...as for heads, GT40 heads would work, and probably at this point in time be easier to find than E7s.

If you're set on the E7s, I have a set of those, and at least one HO upper/lower.

Where are ya? Shipping heads isn't cheap. Hell, if you're local, I'd just give you this HO shiznit, I honestly have no use for it anymore...
    '84 Mustang
    '98 Explorer 5.0
    '03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
    '06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
    I have E7 heads as well.  Just depends how close you are?  LOL
    Mike

Reply #4
    You may find it easier and cheaper just to find a complete  HO engine and swap it out.  All your major parts should interchange .
    84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
    71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #5
    Another idea? How about an Explorer engine?

Pros: GT40 heads, good intake, good pistons (I think?- can't remember), lots of used explorers, maybe not so cheap, since LGB...but...

Cons: need to change cam, valve springs, and add a distributor, and if it's a P headed engine, headers are more of a pain. But BBK 1515 work on P heads, but will need a 90* plug boot on at least one plug...

I actually have a spare Explorer engine from a '99 Mounty....I'd love to say it runs, but I couldn't get it started. However, the oil was good, and it did turn over before I pulled it. Bought a rollover a few years ago....was gonna V8 swap a '97 Explorer that has a 4.0....got as far as parting out the rolled donor and sping the smashed  and then winter hit, and...well...come spring, there was a new job, and no time, money, or motivation to convert the thing. Eventually there was a 4th kid and a 5 seat SUV wasn't enough so I bought an '06 4.6 Exploder and the to-be-swapped Explorer still sits, as does it's intended engine.

Anyway, I see you are upgrading a '94 5.0 cougar....do you mean '84....because a '94 Cougar already is an HO engine...

'84 Mustang
    '98 Explorer 5.0
    '06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
    I am pretty sure the 94+ T-Birds and Cougars are 4.6L SOHC motors...I owned a '95 T-Bird.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #7
    Yeah. makes the OP's query even more of a head scratcher. Surely it's a typo and he meant 84.

I knew the '93 Bird (V8)ad the HO....the first ex-wife had one. Wasn't sure about the 94, but I knew for a fact the 95 had the 4.6 as I've worked on one of those.

Anywho....OP must mean an 84...and those were CFI, were they not? Probably gonna need a harness too...
    '84 Mustang
    '98 Explorer 5.0
    '06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
    I edited the OP's post, seeing as his username is "84foxbody".

Yeah, he has a CFI'd 5.0 and I've thought about doing the same to the engine in my '85 Marquis LTS.
    Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #9
    Well if the OP doesn't take some of the offers for the free HO parts then the Marquis has dibs...ha ha ha!!!

Reply #10
    Not to get too far off it I didn’t know you could convert the 83-85 motor to HO? I thought it had to be 86 and up( roller cam motors). What all is involved in gaining more power in the 83-85 model?
    87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
     S O L D

Reply #11
    1985 Mustang GT was the first car to get a roller motor and by this I mean a roller lifter cam motor.  The 302W roller motors have the same firing order as the 351W.  The '85 GT also was the first year of the serpentine belt set up with the reverse rotation water pump.

Reply #12
    I'd think honestly, to get the most, may as well swap in an Explorer engine, change the cam (would have to anyway, regardless), you'd already have the best iron heads, would still need valve springs, even with an HO cam, and finsh it off with a decent exhaust, and what...300 horses, what with an E cam, and the explorer intake?

You'd need to stab a distributor in it, the exploders had dist-less ignition, but the block still has provisions for it.

I started mine with an HO bottom end from a V8 stang...were I to do it again, I'd go with the Explorer engine. Stille the same work, but ten years newer (at least) on the bottom end, and probably less abuse....win.

Anywho, I wonder if OP will follow up. I have no need for these HO parts, he's welcome to 'em.

I *might* even have a set of EFI fuel lines...I'd have to check. Honestly don't know what I have for Tbird stuff, left, anymore..
    '84 Mustang
    '98 Explorer 5.0
    '06 Explorer EB 4.6