Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 v6 Carb Questions, Options? (Read 30 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 v6 Carb Questions, Options?

So i had some time to go work on the tbird today, hoping to swap the carb and get this thing driving reliably, but got stopped by some differences between the one that came with the car and the remanufactured replacement i bought for it.

share picture

The replacement has a mixture solenoid on the back that mine doesnt, i was expecting that to be there on the original and bought the replacement on the assumption it would be. We all make mistakes sometimes and i should have known better than to buy something without being certain about it.
The original one has no bucktag for some reason and the sticker on it was too faded to make out any numbers. There wasnt any numbers stamped on it i saw but it was dirty and dark in there i could have missed something.
It may not be original for all i know.
There is also a problem with the linkage being different between them, the replacement didnt have the kickdown stuff on it and the original carb parts are to be honest looking in such poor condition i dont believe i could get away with swapping them over to make it work.
The replacement one has what looks like a nice hairline crack going thru most of the airhorn(not casting flashing or anything like that) so now im in doubt about that as well.

Any advise on what course should i proceed with here on this mess?

Send out the original one that came with the car to get rebuilt since it likely needs more than just gaskets?

Purchase another carburetor and try again?

I only bought the other as it was advertised specifically for the 3.8, so many choices out there for these 2150 carbs for less than 100 bucks but they were much larger and didnt want to get into making things work i wanted bolt on and go for now.
The only other one i was eyeballing was a pricey holley im reluctant to shell out the money on yet.

"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1986 Ford Thunderbird w/ 3.8 v6, stock.

Re: 3.8 v6 Carb Questions, Options?

Reply #1
Pic of the linkage difference.

What the original looked like on the car.

Now, after doing a little searching i find out that the carburetor has to match the transmission of the car when searching for replacement, since these AOD cars have different throttle valve linkage that sometimes cant just swap over.
I never saw anybody mention the trans in their listings.
Ugh, Wish i knew an oldhead local mechanic i could bother about this, i get the feeling this is stuff they would be more familiar with and could point me in the right direction.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1986 Ford Thunderbird w/ 3.8 v6, stock.