Skip to main content
Topic: Alternator problem after cluster swap messup? (Read 3558 times) previous topic - next topic

Alternator problem after cluster swap messup?

I was doing an base digital to buttstuffog cluster swap and i couldnt find the right wires to go to the pinout for the amp meter so i plugged in a couple that looked like it and it burnt the connections so i unplugged them and and now my car wont charge itself any help would be very much appreciated thank you
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #1
Quote from: Moonmount;452359
I was doing an base digital to buttstuffog cluster swap and i couldnt find the right wires to go to the pinout for the amp meter so i plugged in a couple that looked like it and it burnt the connections so i unplugged them and and now my car wont charge itself any help would be very much appreciated thank you

AFAIK there is no wiring in the digital harness to support the buttstuffog ammeter(that never works anyway)... Charging problem is likely a blown fuse link from the alternator...

Reply #2
well i guess i didnt fix my problem wheres that fuse link at?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird

Reply #3
Fuseable links are all just under the starter solenoid on the fender. Sometimes the wires look fina and ya gotta tug on them a bit to find the right one. Not sure the guage of the viseable link, but your looking for a yellow 10 guage wire that feeds it if you still have the stock wiring.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Also, the green wire to the alt harness is what powers the battery light.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #5
Is your Cougar an XR?
What car is the buttstuffog cluster from?
What is the color code of the wires you plugged that burned the connector?
Do you have electrical troubleshooting tools? Meter or test light?

Reply #6
Its an ls and the cluster is from an xr7 cougar v8 ill take a look at the wires behind the cluster when i get off but it was a dual green wire idk remember the stripe color and a black/red wire ive got a multimeter
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird

Reply #7
So i need to replace the 14 ga fuseable link what about the other wire thats paired with it
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird

Reply #8
Are you saying you have found a blown fuse link?

Reply #9
nope i found that yellow wire and i ordered a fuse link but i i cut it off and connected it without the fuse link to see if it would work and it didnt so im guessing its not a blown fuse link any other ideas guys?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird

Reply #10
If it's a 86-88 302, the alt wiring is really pretty simple.

The green wire is just a powered 12v wire that comes off the alt only when it's charging. If this wire is broken, it will light up the battery light. I'm not sure if it actually has anything to do with charging, but I'm honestly not sure if it has to be hooked up for it to charge or if it is just for the voltage guage.

You need to double check that you are getting power out of the alternator or not.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #11
For the alternator to work it needs:
1. Battery voltage on the B+ terminals.
2. Battery voltage on the regulator A terminal.
3. Battery voltage on the regulator I terminal with the key in the RUN position.

Reply #12
Okay, so I is the light green/red stripe. I forgot it had a stripe because I replaced it with green wire when I did my 3g swap. The black/orange stripe is the main feed where it splits from two 10 guage wires to a single, and I guess that's where another fuseable link is, I remembered incorrectly, my apologies. If that fuseable link is blown, it would easily cause your no charge issue.

Does the factory amp guage on the buttstuffog cluster use a shunt or is it more of a volt guage? I've never seen one up close before. The wiring pinouts on coolcats are pretty different between the two.
http://www.coolcats.net/general/8588buttstuffog_v8.html

The base cluster has the light green/yellow for the amp light and then a "alt from ignition" on yellow/grey.

The buttstuffog has two wires just labled amp with colors red/yellow and yellow/light green. I'll see if I can dig up page 149 of the  evmt and see if I can spot differences.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #13
alright so the gray yellow/wire that leads to the cluster is not connected im guess that has to be connected to a wire thats got power with the key on?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird

Reply #14
it has like a light with a battery on it so i guess shunt
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird