Skip to main content
Topic: 84 Tbird project (Read 12003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 84 Tbird project

Reply #75
GT40 heads are a nice improvement over the E7s, but I'll use aftermarket aluminum heads next time I put together a windsor based Ford. (leaning to a 32v and getting my feet wet in that bigger, deeper pool).

Car looks, you've done a hell of a lot. Enjoy it!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #76
Started the 11" brake upgrade last week. I went with 94 Mustang GT front struts that I learned have a shorter top bolt about 1/2" shorter than Thunderbird struts. The nut just barely threads on so I modified the strut mount. I ended up cutting a 1/2" out of the spacer in the strut mount.

While we were bleeding the brakes I discovered the master cylinder was slowly losing pressure so I replaced it.

Now it just needs an alignment and that should finish the 11" brake upgrade.

Today, I decided to start tearing down the motor to install my GT40 heads.

Next is to drop the heads on with fresh gaskets and start reassembly
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #77
Started on reassembly!

Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

Reply #78
Finished putting it together and fired it up today!

Also received a visit from the big brown truck.

I picked up a set of the LMR mesh wheels for my Mustang a while back, and I liked them well enough that I got a set for the Thunderbird too. So I'm gonna be listing the TRX wheels for sale soon.

Matt

Reply #79
Still have the TRX wheels? I'd be interested in them for my bird
1988 Thunderbird V6: all stock other than the radio

1988 Thunderbird TC: Chip's Ranger R Cam (with Esslinger cam gear), Stinger FMIC, .60/.63 SVO Turbo, Pimp V1.4, Spartan2 Wideband, Forge DP BOV

Reply #80
New wheel pictures?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #81
Still have the TRX wheels? I'd be interested in them for my bird

I sold them to a member on foureyedpride.

I'll have pics of the new wheels soon. I just got a set of new tires for them, but I gotta get them mounted and balanced then I'll put them on the Thunderbird. I just got over covid so everything got put on the back burner.
Matt

Reply #82
Nice work!

Yes, covid really can shiznit up one's plans. Kept me from getting a job, but the upside of that is because of the one missed shot at the one place, it put me in a position where I ended up doing something that I really like and pay about .40 more per hour.

I'm still looking for a new (to me) Fox Bird or Mark VII to be a fun car, occasional romp to work in project.

It's out there, just gotta find "the one"..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #83
NIce!  Someone's been busy.
1987 TC

Reply #84
Wheels pics are here!

After I sold the TRX wheels I used that money to buy a new set of 245/45-17 Falken Ziex ze950 a/s tires

Then 4 members of our family got covid, and thank God we all survived. My girlfriend's stepdad got it first and it turned into covid pneumonia and sent him to the hospital for 5 days. He was out of work for 6 weeks. Then my girlfriend's mom got it from the stepdad and she got over it within about 3 or 4 days. My girlfriend got it from her mom, and it was pretty much like a bad case of the flu for her. She went back to work after 10 days. I got it from my girlfriend, and it turned into covid pneumonia for me also. I stayed out of the hospital thanks to virtual doctor visits where I got antibiotics and steroids. I was out of work for 3 weeks.

Yesterday I was able to get the tires put on the mesh wheels, and get the mounted on the car.

Matt

Reply #85
Well, the bearing in the 60 amp 1g alternator gave out after 41 years. (Yes, it's older than the Thunderbird)  I'd like to see an alternator made in China nowadays last that long! It was also having trouble keeping up with the electrical load from the a/c and headlights especially in traffic. I may be upgrading to electric fans soon too so I decided to upgrade to a 3g 130 amp alternator. I got the kit from Latemodel Restoration Supply with the alternator bracket. You can grind the factory bracket to fit the 130 amp alternator, but for the little extra it costs I'd rather just bolt on a bracket that's made for the 130 amp alternator. The install went smoothly except the alternator bracket doesn't have a threaded hole for the tensioner bolt, and the kit doesn't come with a nut so you need to provide your own nut to attach the belt tensioner. The alternator upgrade made a big difference. It handles the car's electrical loads like it's nothing staying above 13.5 volts at idle in drive with the brakes on and a/c and headlights on high beam. It's no wonder I see so many Mustangs and Thunderbirds with 3g alternator upgrades.

Matt

Reply #86
Yeah. A 130A seems like a bare minimum these days. I look at the stock alternator on the LTS and cringe.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #87
Did the 3G on mine years ago from a yard alternator off a Thunderbird.  Be rocking it for years, truely needed for all our cars.
Mike

Reply #88
Not much has been happening with the Thunderbird, but here's a small update.

I removed the body mouldings between the wheels because they were peeling up and warped. I also painted the lower body satin black. The speedometer was so worn it was basically useless so I started searching for a good one. The only speedometer I could find was on ebay in Canada. It was a good price too so it arrived 3 weeks later, and now the Thunderbird has a kilometer speedometer. It works good, I just have to read the inside numbers for mph. :giggle: It does have one advantage, in that it goes to 110 mph instead of only 85.  :canada:

What's next for the Thunderbird.

The rear main seal and transmission tailshaft seal are leaking so those need to be replaced.

I also wanna put in a 3 row aluminum radiator

87-88 TC front struts and strut mounts or caster camber plates so I can replace the strut mounts I had to modify for the Mustang struts.

I also wanna put a cam in the motor at some point.
Matt

Reply #89
I've got one of those speedos for the TC cluster. I've been thinking about using it, for the very same reason you did.

Car looks good!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo