Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 in Southern California (Read 648 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 in Southern California

1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0

102K+ 4-5K due to cluster repair under warranty

Car has all available options except EQ for radio, sunroof and alloy wheels. Car has always been in Irvine, California or Corona, California, never has left Southern California or the state. Was driven by my parents from new until approx 2007, then into non-op and storage in Corona until August 2011 when it was reregistered and driven by myself and my son until April 2012.

Working power windows, locks, seats, and mirrors. Window motors have had new gears installed, has had passenger side door lock motor replaced, front seats have been recently reupholstered, rear seat is still nice, needs front armrest recovered, needs headliner material (fragile but not falling) and rear deck material (sun weathered and falling apart) replaced. Stereo works but needs tuner light replacement and speakers. Power antenna is up but is broken, won’t retract, needs new mast. AC was working until recently but needs to be recharged. Last week while cleaning inside of back glass one of the rear defog grid connectors popped off, and I have not been able to find the conductive glue to reattach it. Ignition switch and headlight switch also recently replaced.

All interior and exterior lights intact and working, all trim intact, window run channel rubbers and fuzzies are brittle or shrunken but are intact. Hood, doors and trunk open and close easily. Car was lightly sideswiped on passenger side in a parking lot last year, and in the last 3 years rust has developed in the narrow panel between back window and trunk lid. No other major damage or rust. Paint is original and faded with typical clearcoat failure.

Engine and engine bay is complete and original, motor is quiet and strong and passes California smog, however shows low oil pressure on gauges. With a remote gauge showed as low but sufficient. Motor does not rattle or clatter when pressure shows as low. May be dependent on engine RPM. New main cat and ler last year, precats approx 2k miles ago. Car also received plugs, cap, rotor, O2 sensor, and oil, fuel, air filters August 2011. Fuel sending unit has issues, does read more accurately and reliably now after being replaced with a Mustang sender but not perfect.

Suspension is original, has had struts/shocks replaced at approx 60K, does need alignment and possibly inner tie rod ends. I have 3 of 4 hubcaps, one was improperly reinstalled and lost.

I am currently driving car to work. Car is sold as is, where is in Corona (Riverside County) California. Asking $2000 or best offer, and am willing to deal to sell to an enthusiast.

Thank you for taking a look,
Tom

more pics here: http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/chevygod/1986%20Ford%20T-Bird/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

1986 Tbird Elan 5.0 - fixing small stuff little by little

Reply #1
I wish I had some money sitting around right now. Good luck with the sale.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Haystack,
Based on postings by you and FirstBird, I thought this car might be right for one of you.
Let me know you thoughts.
Best regards,
Tom

Reply #3
Back to the top, hoping someone here will want this car.

Is my price out of line? What is fair?

Lemme know.

Thank you,
Tom

Reply #4
I'd love the car, but for me the stumbling block is distance.

Reply #5
You buy me a bus ticket down there, and a bus ticket home, I'll drive it out to you. I'm un-employed and have the time. I'd love to pick it up too if I had the money.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
To the top, new price $1700.

Please help me find this car a home.

Reply #7
TTT, $1500, want this to go to someone who will enjoy it.