Skip to main content
Topic: Thoughts? (Read 5037 times) previous topic - next topic

Thoughts?

Reply #30
I agree!  A sub-3500# car with the Coyote 5.0 could be a Vette killer out of the box. 

One thing that disturbs me about the newer pony cars is the cost!  One of the key things about muscle/pony cars of the past was their affordability for working class folks.  $35000-$40000 GT Mustangs, R/T Challengers, and Camaro SS's are the norm now.  I guess the latest cars are a lot nicer as far as interior quality, performance, etc so that could justify some of the expense.  I think that the younger generation is probably more driven towards FWD imports due to their lower cost.  Not many 21 year olds can afford a $30000+ sports car right out of college.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Thoughts?

Reply #31
The new ones are not cheap. I think a strippo Mustang GT is right around 30K and a strippo Challenger might be just over 29K. Not cheap for younger people. Probably why it's only old guys driving them lol.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Thoughts?

Reply #32
Quote from: thunderjet302;425787
The new ones are not cheap. I think a strippo Mustang GT is right around 30K and a strippo Challenger might be just over 29K. Not cheap for younger people. Probably why it's only old guys driving them lol.

I'm old, and drive a 80's cougar. If I would add it all up what I did through the years, it would cost about the same. I think the Challenger got the there look from aero birds and Cats!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Thoughts?

Reply #33
im really trying to convince myself that i like it but that front end is turning me off.  i dont know if im the only one to think that but when u see it from helicopter view it looks like a freaking explorer lol. it looks fat
on the other end i love the dash.  anyways in my book an lx hatchback or a 2004 cobra suits my taste better.

Thoughts?

Reply #34
Quote from: 50tbrd88;425412
I love your car!  You've put a lot of work in it and it shows!  Its just such a kick in the balls to read the specs on the '11-'13 cars and realize how outclassed the 3V motor is in comparison.  Soooo much potential in the coyote motor! 

I came VERY close to selling my '07 this fall.  The only things that keep me from selling are 1.) 1st new car I ever bought.  The thought of someday owning a new pony car is what kept my nose to the grindstone in college.  When I saw the concept for the '05 Mustang I was dead set that I'd own one.  Graduated in '04 and by '07 I'd saved enough money to make the purchase. 2.) My 2 year old son might be mad at me for selling it when he gets older.  Figure I will probably pass it on to him someday. 3.) It's paid for!

I do also think that the 05-09 'stangs are the 2nd best looking ones ever made.  (My favorite would have the be the '69-'70 models).  Maybe someday in the distant future I'll do a coyote swap.  Hopefully it will become more common and the prices will come down some.

Thanks for the kind words on the car.  I think perhaps if I had actually DRIVEN it more this year I might be reconnected with it.  600 miles just didn't cut it.  I felt amiss in it from earlier years.  I also didn't go to the track ONCE this year either so......
Mine was the SECOND new vehicle I ever purchased.  The first one I ever ordered and waited for instead of just settling for what was on the lot.  I will order EVERY new car I ever purchase to the specs I want.  It's a more rewarding ownership.  I figure for about 5 grand I could have this car in the 10's with new parts that are reliable.  I've learned to spend once up front is cheaper in the long run.  Not too many of my friends will do what I do.  Drive 125 miles to a drag strip, beat the snot out of the car, and then drive it home.  My record is 24 passes for one day BTW....

my only question to him was one he was forbidden to answer. Curb weight....
  It's incredible how much weight is in the interior.  Hence my ordering a base cloth interior with the base stereo. 

I've seen many a V6 S197 car that have door tags that denote a spring more for a heavier load than the ones I had stock.

But yeah, the speculation now is maybe 150 pounds less than the 2013-2014 which would put it right back in the 2005-2007 range....Not 300 pounds below THAT as antited.

The '12 3.7/auto Mustang we have weighs about 3500lbs with a full tank of gas
3700 with me, a full tank, and the blower which added about 60 pounds.....I've been hovering around 190 or so for the past few years.

I agree the S197 platform is too heavy. A featherweight compared to the Dodge Challenger though...those things are freakin huge!
The first time I ever saw the new Challenger in person was at a local Friday night cruise in.  It was parked next to a 1970 big block Chevelle.  It made the Chevelle look small.  No easy task for most passenger cars.

I can't wait to see one of these new Mustangs on a dealer lot and pull mine next to it to see if there is in fact any size difference.  Then I will check out the IRS.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Thoughts?

Reply #35
Quote from: V8Demon;426031
.  I've learned to spend once up front is cheaper in the long run.  .

the take away from this is one epic statement....  ^

in truth it is much more cost effective to study your purchases,, or even your fact driven choices in life before you do something.
so applicable in just about everything we do.

Thoughts?

Reply #36
Quote from: V8Demon;426031
The first time I ever saw the new Challenger in person was at a local Friday night cruise in.  It was parked next to a 1970 big block Chevelle.  It made the Chevelle look small.  No easy task for most passenger cars.

The first time I drove a Challenger I was shocked at how big it felt. The hood reminded me of my '78 trans Am - eight feet long and flat. What was so surprising to me is that it actually felt bigger than my Chrysler 300, which of course is the chassis the Challenger is built on. My car is bigger, but the Challenger felt bigger. It was weird...

As for the new Mustang, the more I see it the more I want one. Hopefully this summer...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Thoughts?

Reply #37
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;426144
As for the new Mustang, the more I see it the more I want one. Hopefully this summer...

I got that same feeling at the tail end of 2004...... The result is known by many of you.  I too am having this sentiment again.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!