Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Tbird Interior Modification (Read 1830 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Tbird Interior Modification

Ok, so i have an 88 tbird turbo coupe. I am planning on swapping out the dash and would prefer to put in a mustang dash. It is much much simpler. I am going to be turning the car into an every day race car. All of the dash just has to much going on that you cannot mess with easily. So i was hoping without to much modification i could swap out a fox body dash. I also plan on creating a custom dash cluster because all but 2 of my gauges are not working. Any thoughts / ideas or tips?

Reply #1
Are you gonna strip the car of all wiring and then use a wiring harness/kit designed specifically for a race car?  If so, I would recommend that you carefully remove harnesses from the entire car, being mindful of the brittle connectors, clips and wrapping. I will buy your harness myself, if it is decent condition.  As for the Dash.  You can probably get away with a Fox stang race dash from a vendor like hairy glass.

Reply #2
I have a 351 motor for it as well, so yes most of the harness can go. I only need wiring for the basic stuff. It will be a race car, with a few extra's so i can enjoy it on a daily basis as well. Things like interior lights and the radio / speakers will stay. As far as all the system sentry stuff. i dont want or need it. The 351 will be carb so no need for fuel injection or any of that.

Reply #3
Don't hold me to this, but I think I remember reading that the FoX Stang dash is narrower than the Bird's dash?

Edit: Welcome to the forums! :D
...and there was light!

Reply #4
, so it wont reach to each side of my car?!? i really want the freakin simple ass fox body dash in there. Its sooo simple..No screwing around with a  ton of hidden clips and screws. my 88 dash seems so gaudy and i dont like it.

And thank you, And im not interested in keeping anything i dont need. I plan on swapping out the dash and most of the wiring. I need to get the parts that will replace them first before i am willing to get rid of anything. But after that you are welcome to it.

Reply #5
I know that the hairy dash is made wider than stock, because it is designed to go into a variety of race cars.  It might be worth you time to call hairy glass and talk to them, measuring your dash, outside to outside dimensions.

Reply #6
Thank you very much, i will definately look into that.

Reply #7
Like I said, don't hold me to it, but I am somewhat sure that I read that somewhere. I just didn't want you to be in the process of bolting up the factory Stang dash to find out it is to narrow.

Hopefully someone else will be able to speak up confidently one way our the other! :D
...and there was light!

Reply #8
I kinda like the Bird's dash. It's really not that complicated if you just take a little time and get to know it better.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
there were a couple cars here that had mustang dashes through the years..they were a tad short, but they worked....A  Mark dash will also work with some side tpuppies too
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
These are all Fox cars, the Stang dashes will work, with a few mods. Mostly the mounting points in the middle in the center stack area.

I came really close to putting a '95 dash in mine last summer....wish I had, now.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #11
To me the tbird dash makes it a tbird!  Thats why its left in my autox car instead of an aluminum panel!  But if you prefer the mustang dash, its your choice lol.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

Reply #12
To kinda echo what Vinnie said: the ONLY reason I would put a SN95/New Edge Stang dash in mine would be the awesome availability of gauges. But finding with good airbags (wheel and pass. side) for cheap isn't likely. Also, I hate the looks of the airbag delete panels, they look like a drunken one-armed, half blind penguin with a terminal case of the shiznits designed them. Buddy has one in his stang. Fits like a sack of ass.

But yeah, we don't love these cars for their booming aftermarket support...gotta make do with modded stuff and whatnot.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6