Skip to main content
Topic: 1984 Cougar install Autometer gauges and now Alternator isnt charging. (Read 1061 times) previous topic - next topic

1984 Cougar install Autometer gauges and now Alternator isnt charging.

ok I know I should know this but what wires should I be running through the Voltmeter to have the alternator charge.  worked perfectly fine before the gauges, and now no power is getting to alternator.  jumpered the alternator and it works fine and even changed the regulator.  I know it has something to do with how I hooked up the gauges.

Re: 1984 Cougar install Autometer gauges and now Alternator isnt charging.

Reply #1
The green\red strip wire to the alt needs key on. Normally this goes through a resistor or something and the battery light in the dash.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Yeah, the dash light is part of the excitation circuit.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #3
The green\red strip wire to the alt needs key on. Normally this goes through a resistor or something and the battery light in the dash.

Jumped that wire to 12 volt switched power.   It worked.  Thanks.