Skip to main content
Topic: LED Bulb Conversion (Whole Car) (Read 12455 times) previous topic - next topic

LED Bulb Conversion (Whole Car)

Reply #75
With regards to the difference in the the styles of 1156 Sylvania LED bulbs I cannot notice any discernable difference in light output within the tail lamp housing.

I have a relay harness on order.  It comes soldered.  Something I am not to good at is using a soldering iron, yet for some reason I can solder good joints with a propane torch.  Go figure....  I wanna see just how different the 9004 bulbs I currently have are with the relay harness and without.

Other than that I have 4 bulbs left.....  3 type 89s and whatever the glove box bulb is. The 89s have the same base as an 1156 so the LED equivalent is the same. Other than that I have to find out the bulb type for the  factory EQ and if it even has an LED equivalent for the lights on the adjustment levers.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #76
Quote from: V8Demon;468185
With regards to the difference in the the styles of 1156 Sylvania LED bulbs I cannot notice any discernable difference in light output within the tail lamp housing.

OK, good to know. Those are the same ones I used in mine. I was wondering about the difference but that makes things a lot easier.

Other than that I have 4 bulbs left.....  3 type 89s and whatever the glove box bulb is. The 89s have the same base as an 1156 so the LED equivalent is the same. Other than that I have to find out the bulb type for the  factory EQ and if it even has an LED equivalent for the lights on the adjustment levers.

Some of the oddball bulbs either won't be available at all, or won't be a name brand. I had to go to eBay for a few of them. I'm not sure about the inside of an EQ...I've never had one apart.

But I'm happy things are going well for your conversion. Can't wait to see pix. ;)

Reply #77
I have a relay harness on order.  It comes soldered.  Something I am not to good at is using a soldering iron, yet for some reason I can solder good joints with a propane torch.
Properly tinned iron and flux should fix you right up. Also, using a soldering iron (station) with selectable temperature instead of the dumb always on irons makes a world of difference.

Reply #78
One thing's for certain.....  I need to ditch the bulbs in there.

IIRC the ones in there are lots g liges, which according to what I can find, seem to have a much warmer color temp than even stock halogens which hover around 34-3500 normally.  Many of the "Super white" or bluish light halogens are simply tinted bulbs with poor light output.  A glaring exception to that rule is the PIAA Xtreme White Plus.  Color temp is right at 4000 whichis exemplary for a halogen and they apparently are much brighter than a standard 9004. They're stupid expensive though.  70bux for a pair of 9004s.... Not to mention what happens when you have a hotter filament; shorter bulb life....

This attached pic exaggerates the color difference, but you get the idea.  The headlamp housing is 6 years old, was NOS and unused when I installed it, and cleaned/waxed prior to the picture.  If I had to guess, the color temp on this bulb is under 3k, part of which is age, another part most likely voltage drop through the stock harness and switch.

20181204_202532_HDR.jpg
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #79

I have a relay harness on order.  It comes soldered.  Something I am not to good at is using a soldering iron, yet for some reason I can solder good joints with a propane torch.  Go figure....  I wanna see just how different the 9004 bulbs I currently have are with the relay harness and without.

The adjustment levers are already LED. They are rectangular LEDs.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #80

I have a relay harness on order.  It comes soldered.

Where did you get the harness? Not that I can't solder I'm just lazy and like pre-made harnesses.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #81
I MAY have a viable and inexpensive option for those of us with 9004 bulbs.... Pics to come.  So far so good.

I figured for under 50 bucks, I'd experiment.  Prognosis good.

Stay tuned.....

Reply #82
Okay. Got the LED headlights in.  Aimed them fairly well on the garage.  Adjusted them so there wasn't too much spill-off to the sides as well.  This is actually the difficult part. The stock fluting on the 87-88 lenses is designed for light spread and the 9004 bulb being as underpowered as it is in low beam form gets A LOT of help from our lenses and this is extremely evident once you install a light source that is more intense.  It's also why a few guys on here made their own housings in the past.  LED tech is ever advancing though and with the newer setups becoming adjustable it's a huge leap forward.

That all being said; I went with these:
X

Got them off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F87LH4P?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

When they arrived I took note of the fact that to install them, the retainer to hold them in place on the back of the housing would need to be notched.  Instead of notchting the stock ones, I ordered a set of aftermarket ones that were actually shorter this requiring less notching.

Those are here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000COB65M?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

I've only had a couple of short drives so far, but the last one was right at that magic time in the northeast where it's dark and everyone is on their way home.  15 minutes of stop and go with a little time at traffic lights at 4 way intersections..... No one brighted me. I wasn't happy with the amount of spill off sideways so I brought that down by rotation of the lights in the housing.  This is done without removing the retainer and is straight forward. Took it for another drive after and am satisfied.  From what I can tell, these aren't gonna blind oncoming traffic the way you hear so many do....

A word of warning on that:
Have  any of you ever taken a good look at the headlight lenses on cars you know have drop in LED bulbs that are blinding everything in their path?????  There's usually a common trend. The lenses are almost always yellowed/marred/in poor condition.

The headlamps on my car were installed about 6 years ago, were NOS unused in their original Ford boxes upon my purchase of them. They are PRISTINE and I wax them on the regular to keep them that way.  I'll say this as well....

If you're feeling you are lacking in the night time visibility department and your lenses are in need of attention; attend to them first.  If they are beyond repair GET A NEWER/BETTER set.  They're out there.  I actually have a backup set removed from a junked 87 Cougar with nothing for miles. Yes , I spent decently for them, but hey.... Dying cause you weren't seen or didn't see something else is a py way to go.

You could and should do the relay harness mod as well.  Whether you DIY it or purchase a pre-made setup, splurge for quality.

Pics of the actual light pattern to come.  Seems whenever I'm off from work it's pouring... 2018 has been REEEEEAAALLYY shiznitty here weather wise....

Reply #84
V8Demon - Thanks for the update and the links.  Yes, the weather has stunk this year.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #85
Quote from: V8Demon;468284
Okay. Got the LED headlights in.  Aimed them fairly well on the garage.  Adjusted them so there wasn't too much spill-off to the sides as well.  This is actually the difficult part. The stock fluting on the 87-88 lenses is designed for light spread and the 9004 bulb being as underpowered as it is in low beam form gets A LOT of help from our lenses and this is extremely evident once you install a light source that is more intense.  It's also why a few guys on here made their own housings in the past.  LED tech is ever advancing though and with the newer setups becoming adjustable it's a huge leap forward.

That all being said; I went with these:
X

Got them off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F87LH4P?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

When they arrived I took note of the fact that to install them, the retainer to hold them in place on the back of the housing would need to be notched.  Instead of notchting the stock ones, I ordered a set of aftermarket ones that were actually shorter this requiring less notching.

Those are here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000COB65M?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

I've only had a couple of short drives so far, but the last one was right at that magic time in the northeast where it's dark and everyone is on their way home.  15 minutes of stop and go with a little time at traffic lights at 4 way intersections..... No one brighted me. I wasn't happy with the amount of spill off sideways so I brought that down by rotation of the lights in the housing.  This is done without removing the retainer and is straight forward. Took it for another drive after and am satisfied.  From what I can tell, these aren't gonna blind oncoming traffic the way you hear so many do....

A word of warning on that:
Have  any of you ever taken a good look at the headlight lenses on cars you know have drop in LED bulbs that are blinding everything in their path?????  There's usually a common trend. The lenses are almost always yellowed/marred/in poor condition.

The headlamps on my car were installed about 6 years ago, were NOS unused in their original Ford boxes upon my purchase of them. They are PRISTINE and I wax them on the regular to keep them that way.  I'll say this as well....

If you're feeling you are lacking in the night time visibility department and your lenses are in need of attention; attend to them first.  If they are beyond repair GET A NEWER/BETTER set.  They're out there.  I actually have a backup set removed from a junked 87 Cougar with nothing for miles. Yes , I spent decently for them, but hey.... Dying cause you weren't seen or didn't see something else is a py way to go.

You could and should do the relay harness mod as well.  Whether you DIY it or purchase a pre-made setup, splurge for quality.

Pics of the actual light pattern to come.  Seems whenever I'm off from work it's pouring... 2018 has been REEEEEAAALLYY shiznitty here weather wise....

$46 for the pair of bulbs isn't bad. I'd be interested to see how you had to position the bulbs in the housing so they didn't spill over too much. My car has perfectly clear lenses and the reflectors are like new so I'm worried about blinding people with the LED bulbs (and not seeing any better) if they aren't positioned correctly.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #86
Quote from: thunderjet302;468289
$46 for the pair of bulbs isn't bad. I'd be interested to see how you had to position the bulbs in the housing so they didn't spill over too much. My car has perfectly clear lenses and the reflectors are like new so I'm worried about blinding people with the LED bulbs (and not seeing any better) if they aren't positioned correctly.

For 46 bucks, just try them.

V8Demons lights are perfect and he was able to adjust the rotation of the bulb to get rid of the light spillage. They actually look really good.

Don't be scared.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #87
Excuse the cell phone quality pics in the rain..... It drove the ISO through the roof, but I believe it will give the basic idea.

20181221_115500_HDR~2.jpg

20181221_115429_HDR.jpg

It was mid afternoon and quite dreary out, but not super dark.  All the photos posted in this comment have had the overall brightness lowered in order to show detail and to illustrate the actual beam pattern....

Trust me,  You'll see more....You'll be seen....

20181221_115252_HDR.jpg

Reply #88
And the high beam pattern closer to the garage.....

X

Also remember: In a dual filament bulb housing (9004, 9007, H13) the HI-BEAM  is ALWAYS the one that's the basis for everything.  The low beam is generally aimed lower and away from the direction of oncoming traffic in relation to the hi-beam.  I say oncoming traffic instead of to the vehicle right because in Europe there are setups that move it to the left due to certain nations having oncoming traffic on the right.....

Most newer light designs have a much more solid pattern cutoff than our 9004s.  Line up your under 5 year old vehicle about 10 feet from your garage door or a flat surface and pop the lights on....  You'll see what I mean....

A few photos at full night with no rain and my REAL camera would be better....  We'll see how tonight holds up....

Also, Maybe my post from a few days ago wasn't clear enough;  You WANT clear lenses and good buckets....

Reply #89
That looks pretty good. I'll have to pick up a set of those bulbs in the spring to try out. Those pictures are with the relay mod correct?