Skip to main content
Topic: Idle Quality (Read 2094 times) previous topic - next topic

Idle Quality

So I've got a trick-flow trackMAX stage 1 cam, like some of you guys, and I'm wondering what your idle is like.  Mine is somewhat rough and a little lopey.  I'm trying to decide if it's a characteristic of the cam, or if I've got some sort of problem.

Idle Quality

Reply #1
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;451645
So I've got a trick-flow trackMAX stage 1 cam, like some of you guys, and I'm wondering what your idle is like.  Mine is somewhat rough and a little lopey.  I'm trying to decide if it's a characteristic of the cam, or if I've got some sort of problem.

Totally normal...

It won't be happy till you bring up the in gear idle to around 850-900 RPMs...

Idle Quality

Reply #2
Yeah you're going to want to up the idle in the 850rpm range in drive. Any idea how much vacuum the engine has? The cam specs out as follows:

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221 int./225 exh.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.499 int./0.510 exh

I would think it should make around 14" or so of vacuum at hot idle. For example here are the specs on the cam in my Thunderbird:

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 210 int./215 exh.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.533 int./0.533 exh.

About 10* less duration on the intake/exhaust side but much more lift. Idles great with a slight lope at 650rpm in drive and 700rpm in park. It has 17" of vacuum at hot idle.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Idle Quality

Reply #4
Raised the idle a couple weeks ago, God I really love tuning with a Quarterhorse and TunerproRT.  Idle is smoother, I lowered back down some and settled on a target RPM of 825.  Raising the idle actually increased my vacuum to about 14 inches, which among other things, has my brake booster somewhat happier.  Thanks for the help, I still have to get on a dyno for tuning, but my street tuning is good enough to wait for next summer.

Idle Quality

Reply #5
Glad to hear it worked out!

I still have to tune mine. I know there is probably 10-20hp that can be unlocked with a tune. The thing just runs so well that I really haven't been in a hurry to spend the cash to tune it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.