Skip to main content
Topic: BlueBird (Read 39769 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: BlueBird

Reply #286
6wks. I am ashamed that this car is so close to being back on the road and I have barely touched it in 6wks....

Front suspension is in. Brakes hooked up and initial bleed complete. Power steering filled and cycled thru the cooler and hydroboost. Engine starts and runs for 3sec before PATS shuts off the fun. Still in a holding pattern on getting that defeated in the PCM.

I sold my SHO last night and currently have no play vehicle for the street. That is not how this is supposed to work. On the upside however, part of the deal struck on the SHO included another mess of Mustang donor parts I didn't know I wanted.

Hold onto your butts, scope creep ahead!
19687AC1-C82B-4171-8EDD-3CE16167D294.jpeg
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #287
This should be entertaining.  :toothless:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #288
That'll make it a little more fun.

You running tail pipes? I've heard the MM panhard bar is a tight fit with the stock fuel tank and tail pipes.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #289
I have a handful of things started and have been dragging my feet wrapping them up. New parts have an amazing way of clearing the mental block.

Put the sheet metal back on the car, then sit back and stare for while
IMG_3068.JPG

Then I climbed inside and completed the stereo shuffle that began with ripping out the red display Sony that didn't match anything, and putting in a RAD Pioneer I bought in high school.
IMG_3069.JPG

I cut a window in the hood liner for intake clearance. Just need to find 15 new push pins since every one of the originals broke when I pulled the liner down.
IMG_3072.JPG

Reply #291
Small step
IMG_3076.JPG

And the only visual marker of some larger steps
IMG_3077.JPG

I installed the Mustang lower control arms which are ⅜" shorter than the Tbird version, and needed to remind myself that it is ok not to nit-pick this detail. The effort it would take to extend these is not in proportion with the result. I ran an uncorrected Cobra IRS subframe under my old TurboCoupe and not a single person ever noticed or mentioned the change in wheel location.

I also got a good start on the Panhard Bar installation. Axle bracket is fitted, and the frame bracket too. I am about halfway thru drilling the mount holes for the frame bracket. I only needed to massage one location on the left side tank strap mount to relieve a minor interference with the frame bracket. So far, so good.

Reply #292
. I only needed to massage one location on the left side tank strap mount to relieve a minor interference with the frame bracket. So far, so good.
That doesn't sound too bad. Much less than I had to deal with trying to fit mine.

I forget, but the Torque arm gets rid of the uppers, right?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #294
Finished up the panhard bar mount and then the tires touched pavement today. First time since January. It appears to have gained about ½" of ride height in the rear with the new LCAs. I will make final adjustments there after I correct some geometry.

IMG_3095.JPG

Moved the car to the lift so I can start on the T/A, and then exhaust. I don't think the standard location tailpipe is gonna work on the passenger side, but we'll see.

Reply #295
Im interested in seeing how you tackle the passenger side tail pipe with the PHB mount. I decided to run dumps with it but man I miss the quiet.

Please post up some pictures of how you do it, 'cause i know you're gonna.

Reply #296
Turn the height adjusters down on the control arms and you'll be good  ;) .

Sits pretty nice as is though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #297
Yep. You're still a dick Gumby.

:rollin:
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #298
Nice seeing you get some recognition from MM.

I think 232ci is jealous now.  :giggle:
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #299
Nice seeing you get some recognition from MM.

I think 232ci is jealous now.  :giggle:

Maybe a year or two ago, Gumby and I were discussing builds and swaps that would be cool. I have access to a Mark VIII, so my "what if" build was to swap a DOHC 4.6L with a manual, and do the MM TA/PHB setup, 3 piece wheels and so on.

It just so happens that the stars align for Gumby to build almost exactly what I want.

I occasionally message him on FB to call him a dick.
It's Gumby's fault.