Skip to main content
Topic: My 85 TBird (Read 60583 times) previous topic - next topic

My 85 TBird

This was my 85 turbo coupe  and my friends 84 Cougar XR7 about 15 years ago. The bird had a 289 and C4, the cougar had a 351 and a C6. Tore the bird down 12 years ago with the intention of redoing it with fuel injection and overdrive trans. Decided it was time to get started.

What it looked like when it was pushed into the shop in Feb.

My fuel injection and overdrive, 2003 SVT cobra 4.6 and T56

My 85 TBird

Reply #1
I do believe this thread will ve watched by many.  Very nice!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

My 85 TBird

Reply #2
Thank you, I will be posting more pics soon.

My 85 TBird

Reply #3
Great to see a Terminator swap in a 4 eye!  Quite the shop too.

My 85 TBird

Reply #4
radical build, love it!

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

My 85 TBird

Reply #5
Subscribed. Wanna watch this!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

My 85 TBird

Reply #6
Nice, looking forward to this build!
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

My 85 TBird

Reply #7
Thanks guys, did a lot of looking on the net to research this project and could only find some 4 cam swaps into fox mustangs and newer birds, though I am sure it's been done. I am using the 2003 mustang K member, cooling componets, hydro boost, wiring for engine management only ( I think), spindles, brakes, and steering rack.

I will do my best to show what i am doing. Look forward to any questions, comments, or suggestions. I have been slowly working on it for a couple months but have not been able to post until recently. The plan is to get everything fabricated and running, then tear it down and make it look good. Here we go.

Please refer to post #106 for correct hydro boost install and brake pedal ratio.

Had to rebend line to clear wiper motor

Only mods to the k member was to shorten the rear lower mounting tabs and locate and drill  the holes for the bolts. My research showed that I needed a 1/2 spacer plate between the k member and body, but mine seemed to measure 3/8 of an inch so thats what I went with.

03 on left, 85 on right

My 85 TBird

Reply #8
I want your motor:bowdown:  Will def be watching this thread:popcorn:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

My 85 TBird

Reply #9
Nice project!! Looks somewhat familiar although mines not as powerful....... LOL.... I likey :D

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My 85 TBird

Reply #10
Nice! Can't wait to see it all done up!

BTW....also the Cobra front control arms are better than the originals...I'm sure you're aware of that though ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My 85 TBird

Reply #11
Wow!  This would be one of my 1st choices for a powertrain swap someday.  This should get tons of attention when you get it done and park it somewhere with the hood popped.

Make sure to post plenty of pics and progress, I can't wait to see this as it progresses.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

My 85 TBird

Reply #12
1BadBird
Nice project!! Looks somewhat familiar although not as powerful....... LOL.... I likey

I checked out your photos, very nice, thats gonna be one clean engine bay. I had to trim my k member lower mount and relocate the holes , you can just see the front of the orginal holes, didn't look like you had to trim yours.

ThunderbirdSport302
Nice! Can't wait to see it all done up!

BTW....also the Cobra front control arms are better than the originals...I'm sure you're aware of that though 

Not sure what fCA's I am going to run. I am afraid that with the 03 k member, FCA's, and spindles that the frt track width will be to wide. Thinking I might have to use the 13 inch FCA's from a 93 mustang.

After mounting the hydroboost I removed the transmission crossmember mounts to move them rearward for the longer T56. Won't know exactly where to mount them until I get the new mount and crossmember bolted in.

Then I set the motor and trans assy onto the k member and put them on some rollers, lifted the frt of the car and rolled it into place. Ended up having to cut the sway bar mounts out of the car to clear the alternator. Put some temporary 3/8 inch spacers between the upper mount and k member and bolted it in.

My 85 TBird

Reply #13
Bad-ass. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My 85 TBird

Reply #14
I always wanted a Terminator motor in my XR7.... too much $$.  So I decided on a 351 with turbo instead.  Good luck with your mega swap.  It will be sweet when done.

Travis