Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 70692 times) previous topic - next topic

Chuck's '83 TBird

At least that's the preliminary verdict.  I'll hold the final one until I can heat cycle it up to temp again and see if it decides to smoke.  So far it seems fine.

I actually had it back together yesterday, but held off until today to try and fire it since I needed to get some antifreeze (It will be spending a couple months in a non-heated garage....so just water won't do). 

Of course it's running just in time for all this snow to hit this week :p so it's not going anywhere just yet.

It looks like it will warm up and rain(to clean the roads) this week so maybe next weekend I can get it to it's hibernation spot.  I need to get it a fill tank of happy premium too...

I took it off the road last Oct/Nov to deal with the block issue, then the head issue popped up once I got that back together in the spring/summer, so it's been in the garage a year.

Barring any more shenanigans I'll be able to drive it come spring. Then I'll get into the next bit of mods :hick:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #1
still rock'n the 2.3?

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #2
Cool just in time for the salt :hick:

Pics ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #3
Quote from: stuntmannick;193275
still rock'n the 2.3?

For right now.  The whole plan for this past spring was to get the car running so I could deal with other things, but it decided not to cooperate.  Still it was cheaper at the time to grab another head and swap that out than to get into the I6 swap and all that will entail.  I'll have a cleared out heated garage to work in this winter, so I'll get into block and head prep on the six.  I'm also rebuilding the rear suspension on my Scorpio, so I needed to room to weld/paint/etc.

thunder...yeah I know... :toilet: It's supposed to warm up and rain here this coming week, so hopefully I can make the 10-15 min trip to the other garage and the roads will be moderately clear.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W;193282

thunder...yeah I know... :toilet: It's supposed to warm up and rain here this coming week, so hopefully I can make the 10-15 min trip to the other garage and the roads will be moderately clear.

One can only hope. Salt is evil :mad:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #5
Quote from: Chuck W;193271

Barring any more shenanigans I'll be able to drive it come spring. Then I'll get into the next bit of mods :hick:

wanna drive it to CJ before you tear into it for the I6 conversion? :shakeass:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #6
The I6 is going to be really cool. I can't wait for that to go in...

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #7
OK well the final verdict is.......

The '83 lives again!!!

I started it up again this afternoon when I got home from work and ran it up to temp and no smoking. 

The tune is all to pen 15, especially when cold, but I'm not going to really mess with it until it has some fresh gas in it and I have time to drive it and sort it out.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #8
So... Twin Turbo I6 or...? :hick:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #9
Quote from: tc²;193509
So... Twin Turbo I6 or...? :hick:

Probably just a single...

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #10
Have the roads cleared enough for you to take a spin yet? We've still got salt all over the roads here. :hick:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302;193544
Have the roads cleared enough for you to take a spin yet? We've still got salt all over the roads here. :hick:

The snow is melting, but no rain yet..so it's not going outside on the roads.  Its supposed to rain Sat, so "maybe" on Sun I can make the trip.  I'm fiddling with a couple other things at the moment on it, so it's not an "issue" at the moment.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #12
It's raining here. Any such luck by you?

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;193813
It's raining here. Any such luck by you?

Supposedly it's going to dump here Sat, but right now nothing.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #14
In Chicago it's supposed to be 45* tomorrow (Sat) with rain in the afternoon. Then Saturday night into Sunday the temps are going to drop into the 20s with acspoogeulating snow late Saturday night into Sunday. Hopefully that  won't make it out by you :hick: