Skip to main content
Topic: Speed density HO conversion computers ? (Read 1787 times) previous topic - next topic

Speed density HO conversion computers ?

I’ve decided to move forward with my ho conversion and have a computer question. I currently have a VJ1? I’ve read a couple places that a DA1 will work better for what I’m wanting? What do you guys think? 87 Tbird 5.0 w/aod... 5 speed swap in the future
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #1
Are you going to leave the motor a stock HO or do upgrades?  Mine is SD but I'm thinking of switching to the megasquirt.

Reply #2
Staying SD. It’s just a weekend/fair weather cruiser
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #3
Yeah I hear that I'm staying SD as well that's why I was considering the Megasquirt since its tunable.

I think the VJ1 would be fine.  I dont see a reason that wouldn't work unless I'm missing something.  I'm not even sure which one is in my car at the moment I'll have to look.

Reply #4
I read somewhere that DA1 was a little better but can’t recall where I read it. Can’t imagine there being enough difference to justify it with an SD setup??
 S O L D

Reply #5
The DA1 is tuneable. Either ECU will work for you but the DA1 will add a little umpf since it's programed timing is based on the slightly better E7 heads, not likely enough to get excited over.

John

Reply #6
A Mark VII computer will work just as well.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Skip the E7's do GT40s!!! :D

Do it once and don't get buyer's remorse. Seriously it's a leap ahead. You will get used to the power and you will be dissatisfied I PROMISE :D
And before anyone mentions it, yes there's a piston-to-valve clearance issue. Do this for really cheap and it'll be mint https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1155880-how-flycut-pistons-ls1-free-almost.html
Be SURE to use 40 grit. The pictures are dead but the description is pretty good.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #8
Yeh, I decided to skip the E7s for sure . I have GT40s w TF spring Kit installed.
 S O L D

Reply #9
I did run GT40P heads (had different than stock pistons), GT40 intake, and Comp 266HR cam on a Mark VII speed density computer. Ran fine. Went to an A9P to run 24lb injectors.

Of course my current combo (see signature) would run like ass on a Mark VII SD computer.......
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.