Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #15
What I6 are we talking? small or big?
1987 TC

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #16
Quote from: HAVI;194023
What I6 are we talking? small or big?

I've covered it a couple times here.  The plan is for a hybrid US/Aussie engine.  The block will be a US 200 I6 and the head will be an AL Aussie X-Flow EFI head.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #18
I guess I missed that.  I s'pose you've already checked out http://www.fordsix.com then?
1987 TC

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #19
Quote from: HAVI;194301
I guess I missed that.  I s'pose you've already checked out http://www.fordsix.com then?

Yup ;)

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #20
Well...it's moved.

I had some time and the roads were clear on Sat, so I got things together and drove the car over to it's winter storage spot.

It wasn't w/o issue though. 

The first issue was I had picked up a couple of those band clamps for the exhaust to secure the ler and tailpipe.  They're nice and all, but one thing about them.  If the joint is not PERFECTLY straight (i.e. if there is ANY curvature along the pipes) they do not work.  So for the time being, I put a couple small tack welds on the joints in question and will deal with that come spring.

Then I had the car warming up and I was shuffling the cars out of the drive and I walk back around front and see the car smoking like a chimney ... Are you shiznitting me?!? :beatyoass:  So at this point I have said hell with it and it's going to storage anyway.  So I hop in and drive it to the gas station.  Well after driving it ...the smoking stopped.  So I'm not sure what the issue is.  It may be something with the turbo seals, but the smoking stopped completely after 10-15 mins of driving.  I put some Sta-Bil and fresh gas in the tank.  I was going to fill it up since it was going to be in storage, but as the meter on the gas pump was approaching $50...and it wasn't full yet..I decided that was enough for now :p  The car has the 22gal V8 tank.

I got on it a few times...it's going to be fun when I get the tune sorted :hick:

A couple items I noticed (haven't driven the car in 14 months).  I will be buying new tires come spring..these are done and old.  Also, I need to sort out the clutch pedal.  Currently I has a '79 Mustang pedal assy that I modified to mount a quadrant on (originally it was just a straight pull) and the clutch pedal has WAY too much travel and releases way too high.  I may try and swap in a later assy with a quadrant and see if that helps a bit.  I may have the cable a bit tight too, so I'll fiddle with that come spring as well.  The bell I'm using is one of the early straight pull bells, not one with the small "dog bone" cable.

Anyway, it's out of the garage now and the other projects can commence :D

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #21
Grat's Chuck!
Now you should adapt the 88 nose to it and make it look sharp!
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #22
Quote from: Jim_Miller;194989

I sure hope you're not being serious.....:beatyoass:

[SIZE="5"]4-eyes rule,
Aeros drool[/SIZE]

:flip:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #23

OMG!!!! :spit:

chuck - glad to hear the smokin stopped. maybe jus some stray oil or a seal that needed some workin in....i hope come spring time she emerges ready to roll!
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #24
Quote from: gumby;195017
OMG!!!! :spit:

chuck - glad to hear the smokin stopped. maybe jus some stray oil or a seal that needed some workin in....i hope come spring time she emerges ready to roll!

Yeah, it might have been a remnant of the blow-by caused when the #4 rings went.  It's possible the oil seal in the turbo was out of whack from that and it needed a little boost to get things back in order. 

It did make me wonder if the old head was bad, but it was very evident that there was oil leaking into the #1 exhaust port, so I don't think the head swap was wasted.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #25
Aeros don't "drool",Chuck.Well,mine doesn't,anyway..LOL.She rocks !!! Ugly as a pot of stewed a$$holes though right now,but new paint will be coming soon.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #26

Yeah, yellow headlights kick ass! :rollin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #27
Quote from: Chuck W;194993
I sure hope you're not being serious.....:beatyoass:

[SIZE="5"]4-eyes rule,
Aeros drool[/SIZE]

:flip:

wow!! I sure hope that was a joke when he siad that :beatyoass: :evilgrin:
Looks good Chuck  ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #28
Hey did it snow by you New Years eve? If it did you just beat the new salt wave :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #29
Quote from: thunderjet302;195491
Hey did it snow by you New Years eve? If it did you just beat the new salt wave :hick:

It rained NY's Eve.  It snowed NY's Day though...and yes, they were not shy with the salt.  All we got was a dusting, so there is more salt on the road than snow.