Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W (Read 224294 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W

Reply #870
Quote from: thunderjet302;381132
How is it bubbling? IS it forcing out the coolant or just a bubble or two (trapped air from removing the radiator cap)?

For example, I filled the  radiator to the top before driving to work. When I parked the car at work I could see a thin trail of fluid on the ground that I had been leaving behind as I pulled in. 

I honestly should have had the heads checked when I yanked them off last time. I will be checking things out carefully this time.

Reply #871
Quote from: flylear45;381829
For example, I filled the  radiator to the top before driving to work. When I parked the car at work I could see a thin trail of fluid on the ground that I had been leaving behind as I pulled in. 

I honestly should have had the heads checked when I yanked them off last time. I will be checking things out carefully this time.

Hind site is always 20/20......

My GT40's are at the machine shop as we speak.

Travis

Reply #872
Update! I found a weeping hose near the back of the engine. Gotta get a few miles on it to see if it was causing all the pain........

Reply #874
I've been cautiously playing around with the tuning software for the transmission.

It's a bit confusing and counter-intuitive but I am slowly getting a feel for it. I have the low power shifting to where it feels pretty nice. It still isn't right under WOT though.

I did 'f' it up pretty good once while I was driving. It wouldn't shift out of second until I stopped and re-loaded the last good tune. It'll be nice to get it sorted out enough to get onto a dyno.

Reply #875
so what's the verdict on the coolant loss? :hick:
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #876
Quote from: flylear45;381204
It's g coolant out constantly. It has since the start. The harder I drive it the more it pukes. In boost or not makes no difference. ERR!

I thought something was wrong with mine when I first started it and broke it in. The overflow was always g coolant. Turns out I just overfilled the system (filled the bottle to the full hot mark when it was cold). So if you got it up to operating temp the coolant would get pushed out of the radiator and overflow the bottle.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #877
I blew 3 head gaskets and everytime it blew the coolant up the pass windshield those were costly mistakes(was to cheap to buy 93 octain fuel.
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #878
Hey Jim....how goes the turbobird?  Coolant still an issue?  Picking up my heads on Friday.  Next week some assembly.  Maybe the engine/tranny will be installed the following week.

Travis

Reply #879
Hey guys, sorry to take so long to respond! Work has been really busy, so I hadn't driven the car much to see what was going on with coolant.

It is better than it was, but the radiator still smells like combustion fumes, and the level goes down in the rad still. It ends up needing some anti-freeze after a week or so. It isn't pushing it out like before, though, AND I don't smell coolant at all when it's hot. Plus when I take off the cap it is definitely sealed. I get a 'phish' sound when the cap comes off, so I am breaking a vacuum seal and that's a good thing.

I just bought a new truck to replace old 'blue', so I won't be getting new heads soon.

The new plan is to take a set of E7's down to have them checked and new springs installed. Then after the TR7 is fixed and running again I'll swap out the heads and put on the AC hoses. 

I finally got the Baumann software understood and tuned in. I have it shifting soft and sweet during the daily drive part and shifting at 5500 rpm when I mash the throttle. (Remember I have a V6 torque converter and don't want to balloon it with high revs.)

It's been great to drive so far. Aside from a slight oil leak at the turbo drain, the coolant thing, and needing a breather hose to the intake tract in front of the turbo I am totally pleased with it. I still need to finish the center console, too. Once I get the Triumph back on the road I can concentrate on tweaking on the 'bird again. I really want to get on the dyno this spring.

I'm guessing it's over 350 to the wheels with the boost at 7 psi. I have nothing to base that on except comparing it to the TR7, which was around 285 rwhp.

I intend to just keep the boost set here and enjoy the car. It seems really bullet-proof, and I have no trouble with detonation running 89 octane. I still want to look for a second diff that I can put in with a low gear set for mileage.

Reply #880
hmm.. losing coolant but still have a 'psst' when you remove the rad cap.. and no antifreeze smell when warm.. that's a toughy, expecially if you're not getting anything out the exhaust or on the ground
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #881
Well, the exhaust seems a bit 'juicy' to me. I'm pretty sure that's where it is getting to.

Reply #882
J/c, why did you use a v6 torque converter?
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Reply #883
It came with the tranny out of a Mustang. 
3.8 V6 has same bell pattern as a 5.0.

Reply #884
Still daily driving the tbird. Golf season came early to Northern Ohio, so it's just been a case of driving and washing it when I'm not playing or practicing. Still need to paint the moldings and re-do the breather system a bit. Otherwise just enjoying it!