Skip to main content
Topic: Bringing home a new tow vehicle (Read 2268 times) previous topic - next topic

Bringing home a new tow vehicle

I have always had fun, over the years, towing the Cougars to where the need to go,

X

X

X

However when I went to rent a tow dolly in August, U-Haul refused because my hitch was only rated for 3,500 pounds,
Original 1988 Cougar XR7 owner 200,000 miles and counting.

Reply #1
I had to rent this,

X

This arrives from Dearborn next week !!!

X

Reply #2
That's a good looking truck which motor will be in it?

Reply #3
This is a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Not the top end XLT sport.

XL Sport appearance package.

2.7 Ecoboost but with the 6600 lbs tow package.

About $ 7,500 cheaper.

I am going to be very impressed or very disappointed.

Reply #4
A buddy of mine has a regular cab short bed 4X4 with the 2.7 and he loves it. No shortage of power
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
I highly doubt you'll be disappointed I've driven a few new Ecoboosts and always been extremely impressed and I have a few buddies who tow their trailers and have nothing but good things to say.

Reply #6
My buddy had an Ecoboost F150 and it was great. He would tow his race car on a trailer and average about 22mpg. Was impressive to me.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
I rode in a '17 ecoboosted truck a few days ago..

One word. .

Miles above the old '90s 302 and 351w trucks we used to drive.

It ought to drag around that Cat around like it's 1/64 scale lol.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
I bought a 16 f150 with the 5.0 but drove the Ecoboost as well. I would have been happy with either. I felt the performance was about the same. Just ended up with what I did because of price and package. You will be very happy. Mine is a Laredo. Been driving it for 2 years now and still don't know what all the buttons are for. These things have gotten to the point of absurdity with all the electronics and options. Still love it though!

Reply #9
I have a 14 ecoboost super crew and they tow very well.  The fuel mileage is less than great but I don't drive under 75 mph on the toll ways and interstate so that is what kills it.  I will say my father's '18 F150 Super Crew with the Coyote kills my truck in fuel mileage at the same speeds.  I will average right around 15 mpg at 80 and at the same speed his truck will average 21 mpg.  I know as I drove it over 1600 miles round trip to the Gulf Coast to go fishing and it was just short of amazing.  The "Sport" mode was nothing less of just impressive as that Coyote made some serious power.

Got a couple buddies with '16 and newer Ecoboosts with the 2.7 and they really like them.  If you keep them under 70 mph they tow great and make respectable fuel mileage.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp