Skip to main content
Topic: HR980 A/C Issues (Read 2435 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: HR980 A/C Issues

Reply #15
The FS6 mounting ears are slightly further apart, so you'll have to slot the rear mounting bracket, at least I had to:
https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php?topic=41436.0

Rock Auto had new 6P148A compressors listed but not anymore. This was the part number:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3911826&cc=1140297&pt=6628&jsn=1257
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
The FS6 mounting ears are slightly further apart, so you'll have to slot the rear mounting bracket, at least I had to:
https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php?topic=41436.0
Probably depends on the manufacturer. Mine (circa 2005) fit like a glove.

I had to grind a mount on a compressor for my '87 D150  recently because the casting had changed from factory. I'm guessing that's what happened on your FS6. The manufacturers don't have any institutional knowledge for the reasonings behind the original dimensions and change them because they are unaware of all of the application interfaces.

Reply #17
Just wanted to give an update on the a/c situation. Again, car is a 1984 3.8L V6 with factory air.

I've been digging and digging on the intarwebz for any possible solution to converting an HR980 setup to an FS-6 system. It seems that the only real practical conversion would be to acquire all the parts from a donor car. So we're talking a 1985 V6 Cougar/T-Bird, possibly an LTD/Marquis (Fox chassis) as the donor vehicle. You would need everything off the driver's side of the motor: brackets, bolts, compressor, power steering pulley, belt, and of course the a/c lines. It would be a rather straightforward swap but you MUST have all the parts or else it's a no-go.

So it seems that Ford had the foresight to put these parts into a package sold at dealerships. I happened to be at the right place at the right time and procured said kit (it cost as much to buy this kit as it did to buy my car). It is p/n YC-172 (formerly YC-111). Personally if you're in this situation I would not hold out hope of finding one of these kits as they were discontinued over 25 years ago and are probably extremely rare.

Some photos:

Reply #19
Did you get it installed yet???

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #20
Lol. Of course Eric finds a friggin retrofit kit.

Toss the acspoogeulator and buy a new one. You don't want a 25+ year old desiccant bag.

Reply #21
Not installed yet. I don't have the '84 insured or on the road yet due to it needing a battery. Sounds like a perfect time to work on it but unfortunately I have other responsibilities that need attention.

Also I still need a new condenser and one of the lines. This year is probably going to be all about parts acspoogeulation and then, with some luck, everything might get installed in the fall.

Toss the acspoogeulator and buy a new one. You don't want a 25+ year old desiccant bag.

You just can't let me celebrate my victory, can you?  :giggle: