Skip to main content
Topic: Axle swap (Read 4051 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Axle swap

Reply #15
If you look at the chart I linked, the dimensions aren't 100% the same between the two set-ups. When you install the axles and go to bolt up the brakes, you will probably find that the rotor is not centered in the opening in the caliper mounting bracket.

Seeing as you have to add spacers, I'm betting it's slightly inboard a bit and needs to be pushed outboard to center it all up.
Spacers/washers between that bracket and the mounting  on the axle would be needed to accomplish this.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #16
Great chart!  I had this chart saved in my files the whole time.  Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Thunderbird Sport 302 H-pipe,flowmaster 50 series delta flow e303 cam GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads, trick flow springs and rocker arms.

Reply #17
So from what I understand (Chuck or Eric correct me here) is that the:

1) 87-88 Turbo Coupes had the 8.8 rear end that was the same housing width as the 86-98 Mustang 8.8 housing and were disc brake.
Correct.

2) The 88 XR-7 Cougar had a drum brake 8.8 that was the same width as the Turbo Coupe rear end from axle  to axle  but the housing is the same as the 86-98 Mustang 8.8 housing and not very common.
Correct. There was a V8 Cougar that had an 8.8 drum brake rear. Narrow housing. Longer axles.

3) There were some 87-88 Thunderbirds that had an 8.8 with drum brakes but I believe the housing was wider like the 7.5" housings.
No. There were no 8.8's in any other 83-88 Tbird, other than mentioned in #1 and #2. All 86-88 TBIrds/Cougars (Not listed above) had the wide housing 7.5.

I looked at the chart and the XR-7 is not discussed not is any type of 8.8 drum brake rear end.

#3 is not correct.  I have a late-build (manufactured date July 1988) Thunderbird Sport that csme with the factory 8.8 axle and 10" smooth drums. Up until a year ago it was factory stock right down to the lers, plug wires, plugs, and air silencer in the fender.

I attached a pic of the door jamb label with VIN, manuf date, trim and axle codes, etc if anyone is interested.

Reply #18

#3 is not correct.  I have a late-build (manufactured date July 1988) Thunderbird Sport that csme with the factory 8.8 axle and 10" smooth drums. Up until a year ago it was factory stock right down to the lers, plug wires, plugs, and air silencer in the fender.

I attached a pic of the door jamb label with VIN, manuf date, trim and axle codes, etc if anyone is interested.

You have an exception, and not the rule, at the end of the build cycle for that platform.

It could be similar to the '88 XR-7 in that respect (the 8.8 ), but also many V8 Sports came with the 7.5.

Reply #19

You have an exception, and not the rule, at the end of the build cycle for that platform.

It could be similar to the '88 XR-7 in that respect (the 8.8 ), but also many V8 Sports came with the 7.5.

Right. They do exist. I have seen one other 88 Bird that was an LX with the 5L option, was NOT a Sport, and it also had the drum 8.8.  Actually I tried to buy it about 5 yrs ago, as it was a cream puff garage queen owned since new by a senior, but he would not let it go.

Reply #20
One thing I've learned from owning Fords is to never say 'never' when it comes to non-standard options. All these years later and we're still discovering things.

But Chuck is right, it was the end of the run and there were a bunch of 8.8" rear ends laying around to use up. Just for a bit of background info, there were around 15,000 XR-7 models in 1987, and those all had the 7.5" rear which were also shared on the non-XR-7 models so no biggie. For 1988 Ford ordered up the 8.8" for just the XR-7, and again about 15K of those were sold. But with orders getting canceled, the popularity of the '88 model, market conditions, etc. Ford probably needed more 8.8" rear ends than what it projected in the first place. So having some left over at the end of the model run, Ford likely authorized using them up. I haven't seen any official spec sheets or changes on that, but it's very difficult to find those today, and also right before the model year changes it gets really REALLY crazy in auto manufacturing. They'll throw anything on a car just to get rid of it LOL.

I heard from a few people over the years that claimed to have 1984 taillights on an early '85 model. Some early 1984's came with the 1983 upright hood ornament. We have dospoogeented the taillight harness changes between 1987 and 1988. Anything is theoretically possible, but just not likely unless you've got proof. And 90%+ of claims go unproven, lemme tell ya.

So we know these unicorns are out there, and that's wonderful as they are definitely out of the norm and a cool thing to have if you've got one and can prove it. Good on ya, Vintage, that's awesome.

Reply #21
Yeah I saw there were new replies to this, was checking back posts and realized I got it backwards. Glad you set me straight, and I edited my post ;)

Oh, things one forgets when he hasn't touched a Thunderbird in years...and I need to do something about it...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #22
vintage it seems that my door sticker is very similar to yours. Definitely have the same axle codes
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Thunderbird Sport 302 H-pipe,flowmaster 50 series delta flow e303 cam GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads, trick flow springs and rocker arms.

Reply #23
vintage it seems that my door sticker is very similar to yours. Definitely have the same axle codes

Then you should look at your axle to verify what one you have.

If you do have an 8.8, then it is probably the "narrow" housing (Measure the "B" dimension from the chart).
If that's the case, the 99-04 axles will not work for you, in any fashion.

The upside, 94-98 axles will, and bare minimum you can redrill/mod your existing drums to work. (I ran 94-98 axles in my '84 XR-7 with modded drums for a while).

Reply #24

Yeah, you might have the 8.8 axle since your build date is getting close to mid-1988. If you dont have time right now to jack it up and look to make sure, then turn on the flash for the camera on your cell phone and lay down next to the back tire and take a pic of the diff cover. 8.8 has 4 straight sides, the 7.5 has curved sides on left and right.

Reply #25
So after rereading thread I decided to go back to parts yard to pull 96 axles.  looking at my TC 8.8 , I started wondering if I should have taken caliper mounting bracket. Do anyone know if the TC caliper mounting bracket will work with sn95 rear disc brake setup?

Reply #26
Nope. Completely different setup.  You want everything from the axles out.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #27
I know this is an old thread and I hope someone is still out there with knowledge. I have an 86 T-bird V-6 auto 7.5 rear. I went to pick and pull got everything from the rear of a 1996 V-6 mustang. When I put it all together everything bolted right up till I got to the axles. First the axles would not go in all the way because they step up where seal rides. I removed the seal to continue test fitting and with the axle in place it's off by .750". When I went back and made some measurements to get the rotors centered in the brackets I need .750". It looks like I need 99-04 axles for this set up. I just ordered new ones from Rock auto wish me luck. Any info would helpful.
Thanks

Reply #28
The answer to your question is right HERE on the forum.

The 86-88 Tbird/Cougar 7.5 is wider than all of the Fox and 94-98 housings.

The 99-04 housing is a similar width to that 7.5, but the axles are each 3/4" longer, thus the axles you ordered from RA will not work.

If you're keeping the 7.5, why not just use the whole 96 V6 axle, housing and all? The overall width  to  is the same as what you have and you can use the disc brakes?