Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone block off there EGR (Read 3713 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone block off there EGR

Reply #15
Quote from: Ether947;115961
Speak for yourself! :p

J/K... but honestly dood, EGR delete is really a waste of money. That's $50 down the drain and a couple bux @ every fill-up from now on.

Hmmm... now does anybody know if any EGR block-off plates like those in Shawn's link will fit the 2.3? I'd buy one from Bob but he's all out. If not then I guess I will have to wait or modify the closest match.

As far as i know, it fits, but i made my own. I work at a truck shop, so flat sheet aluminum is easy to come by.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #16
My mileage didn't change.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #17
Quote from: Chuck W;115840
There is no gain to blocking it off...and actually a stock ECU expects to see it as fuel and spark maps take into account that air flow.

If it works, might as well leave it working.

Mine is gone on the 2.3T in the 83, but I can also program around it.

If the ecu is calibrated to calculate the airflow..... With the egr blocked, the car would run richer??? Just seeing if I understand.  And that would make the car maybe burn more fuel.  I blocked it on my car because it wouldnt work with Stingers header.  Chuck, how did you program around it?  Burn a diff chip?
Mike

Reply #18
I blocked the flow off by using the solid inserts that come with the FelPro 1250 lower-to-head gaskets (instead of the inserts with the holes that allow flow). I turned off the EGR function in the ECU with my TwEECer, otherwise the ECU would add timing and pull fuel which could lead to pinging at light load. I saw no real benefit after doing this, but I had to due to the fact that the Flowzilla intake for the KB has no provision for the EGR valve.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #19
Quote from: mcb82gt;116443
If the ecu is calibrated to calculate the airflow..... With the egr blocked, the car would run richer??? Just seeing if I understand.  And that would make the car maybe burn more fuel.  I blocked it on my car because it wouldnt work with Stingers header.  Chuck, how did you program around it?  Burn a diff chip?

I believe chuck is running a megasquirt system.

Reply #20
Could a different chip be burned to remove the egr value from the computer?  Need info?
Mike

Reply #21
Quote from: mcb82gt;116443
If the ecu is calibrated to calculate the airflow..... With the egr blocked, the car would run richer??? Just seeing if I understand.  And that would make the car maybe burn more fuel.

Once the computer throws an EGR code, it quits advancing the timing. The gas the EGR recycles is viewed as "inert" by the computer. No fuel is added/subtracted.

Reply #22
So for two years my 88 hasn't been advancing the timing?
One 88

Reply #23
No. The timing advances according to the base tables still...but extra timing isn't added for the EGR.

Reply #24
Quote from: JeremyB;116995
No. The timing advances according to the base tables still...but extra timing isn't added for the EGR.

Exactly, everything the EGR control does is "in addition to" normal air/fuel and timing.

Reply #25
Now isn’t it pretty no ugly/rusty EGR valve in the way and its aluminum
I had an old T-Bird plenum cover sandblasted just got to paint it but you can see it on it. Look at it quick and don’t see the in-line runners and you will think its stock.

Reply #26
Quote from: Cougar5.0;117007
Exactly, everything the EGR control does is "in addition to" normal air/fuel and timing.

So..... will you notice any performance change or drivability??
Mike

Reply #27
Quote from: mcb82gt;117022
So..... will you notice any performance change or drivability??

If you just turn off the EGR via the ECU, you will see a slight loss of mileage.

If you block off the EGR without disabling the function in the ECU (IE, the computer "thinks" it's adding exhaust gas to the mixture), then you may get pinging due to the added timing & modified fuel mixture.

Reply #28
Should I turn my base fuel pressure up to compensate?  It is a 2.3T, my base pressure, vac line unhooked is 39.5 PSI.  When vac line is connected it is about 29.
Mike

Reply #29
Quote from: mcb82gt;117194
Should I turn my base fuel pressure up to compensate?  It is a 2.3T, my base pressure, vac line unhooked is 39.5 PSI.  When vac line is connected it is about 29.

Adaptive control will adjust to any changes in fuel pressure. Stop worrying about this.