Skip to main content
Topic: Intermittent No Start and Fuel Return Line (Read 2534 times) previous topic - next topic

Intermittent No Start and Fuel Return Line

Reply #15
The return line allows the fuel to circulate.  You could be developing a vapor lock and if the return line is plugged or blocked somehow the vapor lock will not be cleared.  This could also be a function of a weak pump not being able to overcome getting the fuel back to the tank.  The larger the delta P from in the inlet pressure of the pump to the discharge of the pump the more volume the pump can move.  Remember liquid is incompressible.

Drop the tank and start from there.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #16
I just went through something similar on my Cougar, but it has 1 pump in the tank. It would run for a few days if I replaced the fuel filter, but it would die and only show 10psi on the gauge. Removing the gas cap didn't help so it wasn't vapor lock in the tank. It ended up being the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay. It would get weaker as it warmed up until the car couldn't run.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #17
Pull the tank convert it to a single 255 check the return and the regulator and check the pump voltage just for kicks and giggles. Personally i have never seen a vapor lock condition with an in tank system with a return line.  Once again yank the TANK check the intank hose and better yet replace the dual pump with a single unit and call it a DAY!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!