Skip to main content
Topic: Non-start question (Read 3025 times) previous topic - next topic

Non-start question

Last night my 86 XR-7 decided it wouldn't start.  Turned the key and NOTHING.  No slow starter grind, no click, nothing but radio, clock and gauges all came on.  Without going through everything I looked at or thought of, it hit me that it had done this once before a LONG time ago so, I released the parking brake, let the car roll forward about a foot and, voila', she started right up.  Here's my question - what on earth would cause this?  I'm wondering if it's just one of those odd-ball little quirks that happen with this car occasionally or if maybe there's something about to go south that I need to check out.  Any advice is, as always, GREATLY appreciated.
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

Non-start question

Reply #1
Neutral safety switch?  I think that's the only starter inhibit, the other lockouts will let it crank if I remember correctly.

Non-start question

Reply #2
Had that happen when starter was on its way out. Had to tap the starter with the tire iron to get it to crank. Changed over to mini starter and had no issue since.

John

Non-start question

Reply #3
Could be the neutral safety switch. I've never had one go bad. Try popping the solenoid with a screw driver. If that works, then try adding power to the small wire on the solenoid. If those work then its neutral safety switch or the ignition switch.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Non-start question

Reply #4
I have had similar issues a while back with the clutch switch.
It's Gumby's fault.

Non-start question

Reply #5
Quote from: Sancho;462974
Neutral safety switch?  I think that's the only starter inhibit, the other lockouts will let it crank if I remember correctly.

Thanks!!  That's what I'm leaning toward too after a bit more reading!!
Owned 22 years.

Non-start question

Reply #6
Quote from: Haystack;462976
Could be the neutral safety switch. I've never had one go bad. Try popping the solenoid with a screw driver. If that works, then try adding power to the small wire on the solenoid. If those work then its neutral safety switch or the ignition switch.[/QUOTE

Looks like it's the neutral safety switch :(      My poor lady is on her way to my favorite mechanic since both my repair manuals say it takes a special tool to remove and replace the silly thing without damaging it :(    Some days I HATE the Ford engineers :(
Owned 22 years.

Non-start question

Reply #7
Quote from: Tbird232ci;462981
I have had similar issues a while back with the clutch switch.

Thanks!  I'm assuming that a clutch switch and a neutral safety switch are the same thing???
Owned 22 years.

Non-start question

Reply #8
Quote from: CougarGal;463007
Thanks!  I'm assuming that a clutch switch and a neutral safety switch are the same thing???

That is what I would assume.  I use the terms interchangeably.
Mike

Non-start question

Reply #9
I usually refer to a neutral safety switch when talking about automatics, it ensures the trans is in park or neutral before allowing power to the starter solenoid. A clutch switch only allows power to the solenoid if it sees the clutch is pressed, as you can start a stick with it engaged in any gear you want. But both do the same job of not allowing the car to start with a whole drivetrain directly engaged which could let it take off accidentally.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Non-start question

Reply #10
Well, FWIW:  Turned out to be the starter solenoid.  Seems the neutral safety switch has been disconnected the entire 23 years I've owned the car and I never knew :O
Owned 22 years.

Non-start question

Reply #11
Well...here we go again :(  Evidently is was NOT the starter solenoid.  Car refused to start again this morning on the way to work when I stopped at a market.  Had to have her towed again.  So - we've ruled out the neutral safety switch and the starter solenoid.  Would the starter going bad cause this?  When I depress the clutch and turn the key to start, all I get are radio, clock and gauges.  I'm hearing NO sound, no click, no nothing like the car is even trying to start.  I would think that if it was something with the fuel supply (pump, inertia switch, etc.) that she would, at least, try to turn over.  It's like the ignition isn't even trying or I've turned the key to 'accessory.'    Key cylinder and ignition switch were just replaced a few months ago and I've had no problems until this started last week :(
Owned 22 years.

Non-start question

Reply #12
Next time it happens....grab your tire iron....lay down to the rear of the passenger front tire and give the starter a couple of wacks. Then try to start again. No start....give it  couple more wacks and try again.

The starter motor is likely good but either the Bendix (am I still allowed to call it that?) Is bad or the drive gear and or shaft is gunked up. This is assuming it's the old style starter.

John

Non-start question

Reply #13
Quote from: Skunk;463105
Next time it happens....grab your tire iron....lay down to the rear of the passenger front tire and give the starter a couple of wacks. Then try to start again. No start....give it  couple more wacks and try again.

The starter motor is likely good but either the Bendix (am I still allowed to call it that?) Is bad or the drive gear and or shaft is gunked up. This is assuming it's the old style starter.

John

THANKS!  It's an '86 XR-7 so I think you may have hit upon an idea!!  We had a '59 Chevy when I was growing up and we used to keep a ballpeen hammer handy to whack the solenoid when it would stick so, at least, I have experience with this maneuver :O
Owned 22 years.

Non-start question

Reply #14
Again, popping it with a screw driver would rule out both the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. You can just put the key in the run position (making sure its not in gear, or it will run you over or drive off without you) and stick a piece of metal acrossed the two big solenoid posts. If it starts, either the starter solenoid or ignition switch isnt working.

Btw, it will spark, so don't wanna stick your face right down in there when ya do it. Might save ya from another tow truck though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com