Skip to main content
Topic: Body moulding (Read 1017 times) previous topic - next topic

Body moulding

when the orig owner repainted the car - the mist blue to black (ugh, what was he thinking) he painted over the body molding in the same gloss black, then added a red pin stripe tape back to it...he also painted the bumpers with the same paint and primer. The bumpers will be easy as its flaking off now.  But that side or mid body molding isn't flaking.

Not sure how to go about getting that off...talked to my powder coat, soda blaster guy...and he doesn't  not recommend any sort of blasting. May just leave it, but I am going back to either white or the orig blue. Not a show car, but a track car, but still would like it to look nice.

Any thoughts?

Body moulding

Reply #1
any of your paint laquer thinners or MEK or similar should be able to penetrate the paint and allow you to wipe it off i would think.

Body moulding

Reply #2
You may be better off sanding and repainting the trim. There isn't really a non destructive way I can think of to get back to the original finish.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.