Skip to main content
Topic: O.K.....new issue...or may a continuation... (Read 3219 times) previous topic - next topic

O.K.....new issue...or may a continuation...

Remember a while back? The rough idle, choppy performance? Well, I swapped many parts and a new coil did wonders. Now, it's running good (needs a clutch), but at times, it'll start to have an erratic idle after I drive for a bit, but if I turn the car off, and turn it right back on, it's gone....at low speed or stop, the tach bounces and the idle is py. But as I stated, shut it off and restart,...good to go for a while. Ideas?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
I think I may have the cure...
You could sell 'er to me...then the issue wouldn't be a b other to you anymore ;)

Ok, more seriously, did you ever try a different EEC? I can't remember if you said you had tried that or not..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Not yet. And no, I'll never sell that car. I'd part it out first.
Besides, I still haven't seen you finish YOUR Bird yet. LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
IAC valve could be sticking

Reply #4
WHO did i here you say the COIL WAS BAD. Heavens to Betsy. Wonder who said that. D'OH!!

Rough Idle means only a few things. A vacuum leak or a valve not seating correctly. Or a lean mixture. Other things being equal a bad injector or the ECM. But why would shutting it down clear the issue if it was an ECM. WOW well you have to do a balance test to isolate the issue. Also one of the sensors may be out of range. Check them statically.  Also when the idle gets rough does performance change?? You said it is surging. So is the TPS ok and adjusted correctly??
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #5
I have no idea why shutting it down helps, but it does. I shut it off, and immediately turn it back on.....good to go. I'll do a balance test on my days off this week (I work tomorrow and Monday, then off for three days). I have a couple of extra IAC's on hand that I can try.

If it was a vacuum leak, it would seem that it would be an issue all the time, not only sometimes, then gone when I re-start the car.

Reply #6
I belive I said check the coil

Reply #7
I swapped the coil to a new MSD piece. It made a huge difference. Now, it's doing a little of that stuff again. When I restart the car, I don't give it a cool down period at all, just off, then back on.

Reply #8
Try swapping the computer

Reply #9
ECM ?????????? Possibly it makes sense because of the shut down issue. I am willing to bet this car has 2 issues. The first issue was most likely not fixed 100%.

Coil I thought someone else said that early on. WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I threw a vacuum leak in because at a restart the ECM rich-ens up till it levels off. This could mask a vacuum leak. Just something to check. How a bout the PCV VALVE. Just picking at straws. I saw one once that did not seat correctly and caused a condition like this once. By the way this is your new engine correct??

If you have a spare ECM just POP it in and that will eliminate that part. If it works you are golden if not it was worth a try. May be the ecm they can do weird things like that.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #10
TFI module

try it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #11
unplug the IAC and take it for a short trip. See if it changes anything. I had to change the one on my 92 dakota because it would open up and run at high idle for warm up, then never close and run like . Might be something to look at?

Reply #12
I have the new TFI in the garage. I'll swap it on. I'll re-re-re-re check the vacuum lines, and PCV and also the IAC again.

Reply #13
TFI is a good idea. But i thought you already replaced it ????

Reply #14
Just picking your brain Vinnie, does it do it at all running temps? or only hot/cold? that might help pinpoint the issue