Skip to main content
Topic: New parts must be inspected (Read 1097 times) previous topic - next topic

New parts must be inspected

Well by now you guys know i have lost my mind. So here goes. My Chevelle is being wormed over with a new Stainless gas tank and hardware. So i gathered all the parts needed to complete the fuel storage mechanisms. So with that because i always totally inspect every part with a fine tooth comb once again i found something. I never run any of my toys in the winter. Salt is a killer. So i found out that the new fuels even when stabled have a nasty habit of getting stale. So with that i normally do not run a sock in the tank with a carbed engine. YES my Chevelle is carbed. With that i use a frame mounted pump with a 100 MICRON before pump filter. So i do not have to remove the tank in case of a fuel issue. But as usual i inspect everything very closely. And what do you know. This massively expensive SS sender had an issue. Metal Flashing or burrs just waiting to get stuck in my fuel system. Here is a photo of the issue.

Notice the flashing after removing the sock. I am not thrilled about this one BIT!!!

And here again on the outlet

This totally pissed me off but typical of the parts today. THOUGHTS???
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #1
Made in the USA?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Actually i do not KNOW??? But will check that out
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #3
Wow! That would make me mad also, seems like these days the prices are going up and the quality is going down........
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Reply #4
Seems like something they cut with a chop saw.  Maybe a band saw, but a band saw burrs a tube evenly, and this is burred more in 1 area.  Seems that this is a part that should be cut with a tube cutter or even better, a cold saw.

Reply #5
I agree and i am going to do the ends over naturally not leaving any BURRS.

Reply #6
Quote from: 87 T-BIRD;408742
Wow! That would make me mad also, seems like these days the prices are going up and the quality is going down........

Totally correct. This part was plenty expensive over a NSS unit. I chose it because it was 304 SS according to the maker. I am not so certain it is. Got took i think. Well live and learn.

Reply #7
welcome to repop part junk

my lower 57 fender doesnt even match the wheel arch and its made in the USA!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #8
That looks an awful lot like to chrome is  flaking around where they flared the Tube And it's just waiting to flake off

My thoughts?
s

Reply #9
Might as  will check that variable resistor as well because you know it's going to be a piece of shiznit to

Reply #10
So, even if you have a pile of money to spend on a quality part, it's hard to find ANYONE who takes pride in their work any more. That's where I believe forums like this are important. So, IF and WHEN you do find a good vendor, let all of us know. A part like this one might save you a few bucks at first, but if you get enough shavings in your engine, it will likely cost you in the future.

Reply #11
Actually 86 the part was not CHEAP as the matter of fact it was quite expensive. But as usual the maker says it is the best thing since they stopped making the VEGA. With that like i always say aftermarket stuff is . Not all but most and i got SNOOKERED. Thanks

Reply #12
Tom,
        I'm sure you do buy the best that's out there. That's my point, even when you are willing to pay top dollar the choices that are available you either buy NOS (if you can find it) or some mass produced part. The part you bought seems to be well made, but it appears the problem was with Quality Inspection. Looks like somebody was taking a nap. You are absolutely right in pointing out the fact that we all need to do our own inspection. That was a good catch!