Skip to main content
Topic: My 74 Maverick (Read 25182 times) previous topic - next topic

My 74 Maverick

Reply #150
oh, nice...wish I could get my hands on a project like that
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

My 74 Maverick

Reply #151
Quote from: daminc;408210
oh, nice...wish I could get my hands on a project like that

That was my thoughts when i bought it, after it was blasted there was little car left i've replaced a ton of metal and still working on that once i get the trunk pan and the driver fender patched i think i can move to driveline. ive got a 55 gmc truck straight axle to go under it and a explorer 8.8.engine will be the same one from the maverick backed by a powerglide this time. for once in my life ive almost gave this project up several times i just dont have the motivation i used to have or the money

more pics can be seen here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.546804298665407.126756.546795581999612&type=3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

My 74 Maverick

Reply #152
maverick a car that  all my lifetime facino... a real Ford Clasic Muscle Car.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

My 74 Maverick

Reply #153
The '57 looks like a cool project. It should be fast as hell when it's done :).

The 5.3 LS is going in the '57 correct? Are you making it bigger (bore/stroke) or keeping stock displacement? Not that a 5.3 with a turbo lacks power by any means ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My 74 Maverick

Reply #154
Quote from: thunderjet302;408381
The '57 looks like a cool project. It should be fast as hell when it's done :).

The 5.3 LS is going in the '57 correct? Are you making it bigger (bore/stroke) or keeping stock displacement? Not that a 5.3 with a turbo lacks power by any means ;).

correct, stock shortblock stuff only here been chasing the record for a while 5.60's 1/8th mile.  we were putting the power out to run this goal before just couldnt get it through the torque converter and the car didnt have the safety equipment to run legally at the track all out .this time it will and i know what it takes the 57 will be a lighter, straight race car. you can make 1200 h/p on a stock 4.8/5.3 ls bottom end before they start exploding rods. we were loosing 200-250 h/p through the sloppy converter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 74 Maverick

Reply #155
Very nice

My 74 Maverick

Reply #156
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;408415
correct, stock shortblock stuff only here been chasing the record for a while 5.60's 1/8th mile.  we were putting the power out to run this goal before just couldnt get it through the torque converter and the car didnt have the safety equipment to run legally at the track all out .this time it will and i know what it takes the 57 will be a lighter, straight race car. you can make 1200 h/p on a stock 4.8/5.3 ls bottom end before they start exploding rods. we were loosing 200-250 h/p through the sloppy converter

That's a ridiculous amount of power out of stock pistons/rods/crank. How long do they last at that level though? For durability's sake I could see upgrading the pistons, rods, and rod bolts, but that would defeat the purpose of going that fast with stock stuff.

I'm actually surprised the Mav was heavier than the '57.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My 74 Maverick

Reply #157
Nice 74! I use to have a built 351c powered Mav, that was an absolute beast. Made the mistake of lending it out a couple of times, and my buddy ended up totaling it in a street race, back in '08. Which was a  shame as that car was about as nice and rust-free as any I have ever seen from the 70's. Would love to find another one someday. Another car on my list of cars to build, again, for the second time, lol. Enjoy that beast!

My 74 Maverick

Reply #158
Quote from: thunderjet302;408440
That's a ridiculous amount of power out of stock pistons/rods/crank. How long do they last at that level though? For durability's sake I could see upgrading the pistons, rods, and rod bolts, but that would defeat the purpose of going that fast with stock stuff.

I'm actually surprised the Mav was heavier than the '57.

For sure but its easy to do, they dont last real long turned all the way up unless conditions stay perfect  all it takes is to bump the rev limiter and its gone
at 10-20 psi they will live a nice long life

the differance will be the maverick was a street car and had nothing taken out really car was dynamatted from cowl to trunk which doesn't help either
the 57 is slated to be a gutted hull race car
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 74 Maverick

Reply #159
XX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 74 Maverick

Reply #160
The new Maverick looks nice :).