Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a Thunderbird?

Feedback Score

Default What's a Thunderbird?

It seems lately every time I fill up a High School kid comes up and asks me "Dude, what kind of car is that?" At first I thought it was strange but then I realized that these cars were out of production before most teens now were even born. What's cool is that they really like the body style...

Could the 83-88 birds/cats be the next 55-57 Chevy?

So does this ever happen to anyone else?

86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Feedback Score

Yep. My little nephew has 4 years old and one time she said "how is your car called? its diferent from the others" I said "Its a Cougar" She replied "No, is Uncle´s car" and with her 4 years old, every time she looks a Cougar, she said "its like uncle´s car !"

Maybe ten years more and your statement would be correct.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

When I drove my '88 daily, I'd hear comments like "hey look at that T-Bird"

I haven't noticed any comments from the younger crowd but then again I haven't really had the car out where I would normally get comments in over a year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Everyone always laughs at me when I tell them these cars are going to be Barrett-Jackson machines in years to come, but I ignore them. The questions and comments I get about the car every once in a while are enough to convince me. You just don't get the same reactions out of the 89-97 t-birds as you do with ours. (Maybe because they're a dime a dozen and all look the same). Think about it, those who own 87-88's (Myself included) own a unique car whose production only includes two years.

Now that I think about it, I rarely ever see 87-88 T-birds or Cougars here in Tucson. (City is big, 1 million+ Population) I see more 83-86's, but even those I rarely see. I love my car, despite it's flaws, and would hang onto it anyway, but to be honest, I think if we keep these cars in half-way decent shape for 10 more years, we will be driving the next Chargers, Challengers, Firebirds, Barracudas, 440's, Etc. If we're all patient, the value will rise. Lets face it, you hang onto a car long enough, eventually it will become collectable, no matter how "Plastic" you think it is.

Hang onto these cars, even if you only have one. They're destined for fame. Maybe sooner than all of us tend to think.

That's my two cents on this.
    <---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
    -DMC24guy

Feedback Score

I see 10 times the 87-88's than the 80-82's around here, then again I only see 3 or 4 80-82's lol

The value iof the 80-82's has been steadily going up fpr the last 4 years or so, the time is coming soon for all the fox cats/birds. i'll just be sitting back quietly waiting for mine to make me a millionaire
    1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I can't remember that far back, but maybe some of the...."wiser"...members can. If you went back chronologically to the same point in time that the Dodge Challengers/Plymouth Barracuda's were approaching 20 years old, did they carry the same value as today?
    <---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
    -DMC24guy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That's strange, because 3 Mcdonalds Drive thrus ago....

A kid at the window asked me. "Dude what model car is that?"

I said an 84 Cougar.

He said. "Looks good man!"

I of course said thank you.

The burger sucked, and I have since boycotted that Mcdonalds.
    2013 Focus (Daily)
    1968 Cougar XR7
    1987 Turbo Coupe
    5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series Muffler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
    1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
    1984 Cougar (RIP)
    1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed. (sold)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I was at a Checker Auto the other day trying to determine the extent of my fuel pump problems when I started to talking to the 3 guys working at the place. One of them asked my what kinda car I had and I said "87 Ford Thunderbird". Then another asked what kind of engine was in it. I said "302 V8, or 5 litre depending on who you ask". As soon as I said that, one of the guys said "Is that it out there!?" pointing to the car in the lot. I said "Yes", and he said "Cool car, how much do you want for it". I joked around a little bit more, and as I was leaving, the same guy looked at me and said "If you ever want to sell it, let me know and I'll make you an offer".

The whole incident really made me think about hanging onto the car a lot longer than I thought I was going to.
    -DMC24guy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC24guy
    I was at a Checker Auto the other day trying to determine the extent of my fuel pump problems when I started to talking to the 3 guys working at the place. One of them asked my what kinda car I had and I said "87 Ford Thunderbird". Then another asked what kind of engine was in it. I said "302 V8, or 5 litre depending on who you ask". As soon as I said that, one of the guys said "Is that it out there!?" pointing to the car in the lot. I said "Yes", and he said "Cool car, how much do you want for it". I joked around a little bit more, and as I was leaving, the same guy looked at me and said "If you ever want to sell it, let me know and I'll make you an offer".

The whole incident really made me think about hanging onto the car a lot longer than I thought I was going to.
    Well, it is prime time for the crushers for our cars. There are constantly fewer and fewer that look good/are in good conditions and have options. Only after the car is Rare do people realize what they really wanted to crush one day, rocks now!
    2013 Focus (Daily)
    1968 Cougar XR7
    1987 Turbo Coupe
    5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series Muffler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
    1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
    1984 Cougar (RIP)
    1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed. (sold)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The blue book on my 86 with the same options/miliage(Sorry cant spell) went from $100ish to about $500. At least I think I filled it out the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com