Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Woo-hoo I found it.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...7.5+difference

Sticky this B!
    2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Nice job thunder. You guys had me wonderin' too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Nice find. I deem it stickyworthy
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by darkthunder
    There was a thread about the weight difference a while back.
    Yes, too bad one can't find it via the search.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...7&postcount=18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

If you wanted True Posi just weld up the spider gears in your 7.5... that way you don't have to take a chance on getting the backlash perfect because you can weld it up with the axle still in one piece. I could never put in a carrier assembly without it later ripping to shreads. I tried carbon paper and lip stick to make sure the tolerances were correct but no matter what the 5 times i changed the gears they all went to crap!
    84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip, BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow mufflers

Project Thread with pics

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

so WTH actually goes in the 7.5? alot of them sound like bad setup, or maybe defective gears...or is the carrier walking?
    '83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
    '91 mustang strictly street-in progress
    '00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blu84302
    If you wanted True Posi just weld up the spider gears in your 7.5... that way you don't have to take a chance on getting the backlash perfect because you can weld it up with the axle still in one piece. I could never put in a carrier assembly without it later ripping to shreads. I tried carbon paper and lip stick to make sure the tolerances were correct but no matter what the 5 times i changed the gears they all went to crap!
    That's a fine solution for a drag-only car, though if you ever plan on deviating from a straight line you might wanna second think it. It's called a differential for a reason - it's designed to allow the two wheels to travel at different speeds while turning. Welding up the spider gears creates a "spool", eliminating differential action and making cornering dangerous.

BTW, if you REALLY want "True Posi" your only option is to install a GM rear end. "Posi Trac" is simply GM's brand name for the same setup Ford has (Ford calls it "Traction lock"), and the actual method of "Limited slip" (which is what all Posi and Trac-lock rears are) can vary even within the manufacturer - anything from the simple clutches like our rears have, to cones (Chrysler), to a mechanical ratcheting locker (GM Trucks), to an electronic locker (Toyota TRD package) and many others.
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've lifted both a 7.5 and an 8.8 and I can say that 80lb figure does seem a little high. I only repeated it because I've heard it from 2 or 3 reliable sources.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What kind of value would you guys put on the 8.8, if you had one to sell, or were looking to buy one, like from an 87' or 88' TC?

Chris1987LX is offline "Thank God for the decent people." Hunter S. Thompson 1971
    Feedback Score

Maybe this fits here, maybe it doesn't, but I had 3.73's installed in my 7.5 and found it to provide plenty of off-the-line go. I never abuse the car or mash the throttle, so hopefully I never have to worry about the rear failing.

Chris
    "I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry