Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to ponder...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Something to ponder...

Just the facts:

FACT: The new Ford 500 is based on the Volvo S70/V90/XC90 platform
    FACT: This platform supports FWD and AWD drivetrains, both of which are offered in the 500
    FACT: Back in the mid 90's Ford had a joint venture with Yamaha Marine. The 3.4-liter, 60-degree V8 found in the SHO was the result.
    FACT: Volvo is now offering a 3.6-liter (I think, not sure of the displacement), 300+ horsepower 60-degree V8 loosely based on the old SHO engine in the XC90 SUV
    FACT: The 500 is being marketed as Ford's flagship sedan
    FACT: The 500 has been widely criticized for being nearly perfect except for its meagre 200-horse 3.0 V6
    FACT: A new 250-horse 3.5 Duratec will be installed in the 500 in a few years
    FACT: GM has already started offering a260-horse Northstar V8 in the Bonneville and will soon offer a 300+ horse 4.3 or 4.8 V8 based on the LS1 in the Impala, the 500's direct competitor from GM
    FACT: The hemi-powered 300C and Magnum have been selling faster than DaimlerChrysler can build them. A new Charger will soon be joining the lineup.
    FACT: Perhaps even more than the 60's, there is a serious horsepower war going on right now
    FACT: If the new Volvo/Yamaha V8 fits in the XC90 it will also fit in the 500
    FACT: Designing an engine like this costs far too much to be profitable to be offered only in one model, in limitied numbers

Now then, bearing those facts in mind, and bearing that SVT will be needing some new models very soon to compete with GMPP and Mopar Performance, and the 500 needs a shot of power anyway, who thinks we'll see a spiritual successor to the SHO in the form of a V8, AWD SVT-badged 500? Discuss
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score

Default Re: Something to ponder...

I wouldn't doubt it at all. Discussed.

Now, if Ford and Chevy would start putting out some serious RWD's like Chrysler, then I'll finally be able to declare that motown has truley gotten its mojo back. (I can't take credit for that one. A MT editor came up with that one. But I just can't shake it. I get all giddy inside just thinking about it.)
    CAW! oldraven 87 TC 2.3Ti, Firetruck 76 Custom300 360, 03 Saturn Vue 2.2 CVT AWD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I went and looked at the 500 just to see what they looked like, as I will need to dump the taurus in a couple years. I did not care for the look, although maybe it will grow on me. It seems high and short which I did not like but maybe driving it, or seeing more of them will help, as would having a 3.5. I'd really like a stang, but not enough trunk space for my needs. Who knows maybe something will strike my tastes by the time I am ready.

Nate is offline If I could get a firm grip on reality, I'd choke it!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

well now that you mensioned it, their probley going to put a 4cylinder and 3 speed automatic in the car with paint that says screw you all over it. jk, but seriously lately ford has been loosing my interest, hopefully the can get it back with some nicer looking new cars. that new 3 valve truck is terrable imo. then again, i dont pdi all the new cars anymore...
    1987 Ford ThunderBird Turbo
    2001 F250 diesel 6speed
    2001 taco on 37's with home made armor plate
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/585475

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Saw the 500. Looks like a cross between a Taurus and the old style Chevy Caprice. Happened to see one in white and thought "If they add a V8 that car will be sold as a police interceptor package." Big, roomy, 4 doors, and good acceleration, and sold in bulk rate at a decent price seems like a win/win situation for FoMoCo
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Let's hope the 500 doesn't replace the CrownVic, though.

Feedback Score

If only the guy hadn't simply designed the Passat all over again, just with lexus headlights and mercedes tails.

I stood beside the 500 the other day, while checking out the Mustang in person. I was really not impressed. And in no way did it resemble a Ford.
    CAW! oldraven 87 TC 2.3Ti, Firetruck 76 Custom300 360, 03 Saturn Vue 2.2 CVT AWD

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
    Let's hope the 500 doesn't replace the CrownVic, though.
    Word.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You're right, the buzz is there...though the V8 version of the 500 will probably wind up being a Lincoln to spice up their nearly dead non-SUV offering. Odds are it will either replace the LS or replace both the LS and Town Car.

It may be a great vehicle, but the FWD based chassis is not the wave of the future like it was 25 years ago...especially in Lincoln form. Read this:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2004/lin...gthehotrod.htm
    pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more
    85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've heard rumors that it both will, and will NOT replace the Panther chassis, but at least there's an '05 Panther, so the sheer fact that they're coexisting is a good sign. However, I doubt this thing will replace the Taurus AND the CV. Besides... what are cops gonna use for RWD police cars... Dodge Magnums? Oh wait....