Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Engineering Struts

armyguy298 Guest

Talking Strange Engineering Struts

I was browsing around Jegs online catalog today and saw Strange Engineering Adjustable Struts for 87-93 Mustangs. Will these fit my 86 and does anyone have any experience with them? The price is really good and I would like to have an adjustable system.

BTW, the part number is: 873-86001EM

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Strange Engineering Struts

basically you should have a pretty much stock 87-93 suspension in there now. So technically it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

armyguy298 Guest

Any reason why they would say 87-93 instead of 79-93?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I think it is for the diffrent brake sizes avaliable later on. Honestly I dont know. I am just pulling that out of my ass. But it makes sense. Also all of the 87-93's prolly use the exact same motor mounts and engines for those years. There were some diffrent ones earlier on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

they wont work unless you convert to 11" disk up front, or use spacers of sorts

our tbird/cougars have 9" brakes up front, using the same spindles as the 79-86, in 87, they got 11" disks, requireing a different spindle
    It's Gumby's fault.

armyguy298 Guest

That sucks! I just want to friggin upgrade one part at a time...not the whole doggone car!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
    they wont work unless you convert to 11" disk up front, or use spacers of sorts

our tbird/cougars have 9" brakes up front, using the same spindles as the 79-86, in 87, they got 11" disks, requireing a different spindle
    Check that Shawn...10" disks up front. Only very early and very underpowered Fox cars got the 9" disks.

They won't work w/ spacers as they will be too narrow for the '86 10" spindle. Need to upgrade.

Hell, these cars need more brakes as it is....I'd do the brakes first anyways.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

armyguy298 Guest

usually I would agree with you, but the brakes pads are recent and the struts are original equipment. the car only has 55,000 mi on it. It rides pretty rough and bounces too much on the bumps. I was wondering what Shawn said as well, because I know I have 10 inch in the rear, cant imagine the fronts being smaller than the rears. I see the general consensus is that they wont work without additional upgrades. Can anyone recommend a bolt-in aftermarket strut that softens the ride? Preferably adjustable?

honkeyboss Guest

I put adjustable Mustang struts on my 87 XR7. To make it work, I had to mill the spindle at the mounting point for the strut and also had to drill out the holes a bit. This is for a drag car, which shouldn't see a whole lot of bumps in its future. I really wouldn't recommend it for a street car. You should probably get some new spindles.

Joel_91GT Guest

i put lakewood 90/10's with coil-overs on my 84 tc and used the original spindles. i did use the shims they provided, only needed one shim per side.