Thread: 85 Cougar Oil Guage Issue - Questionable Resistor

Feedback Score

Default 85 Cougar Oil Guage Issue - Questionable Resistor

My wife's 85 Cougar (owned since new) has had a problem for years with the oil gauge reading low at times. I believe the problems is with the in line block resistor installed by the dealer when she purchased the car. Over the years the wire going into and out of the resistor block have basically broken. I would move them around and tape them to the block to maintain continuity. But, now it looks like I need to find a replacement for the resistor block. I've searched the forum and other sites only to find a reference to a 20 ohm value, but I think I recall it reading 25 ohms years ago.

Does anyone know of a source for this resistor block or the correct value so that I could build a block or find a suitable replacement (thinking of a ballast resistor or worse case a potentiometer)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Can you post a picture of this part?
    One 88

Feedback Score

Is this an XR7 Turbo?

Feedback Score

This is just a regular Cougar with a 3.8 and a digital dash. Attached (I Hope) is an image of the resistor.

20181012_185427_resized_1.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wow, you learn something every day !

My 88 that I have owned since new, has read low for at least 20 years.

I will make sure I salvage that wire off the parts car and swap it out in the future.

Feedback Score

Is this a gauge or a low oil pressure warning light?
    I have never had the electronic cluster.
    I can't find an oil pressure sensor associated with the electronic cluster.
    Only a pressure switch (open/closed). open switch (or open resistor) = low pressure.
    The only pressure sensor I can find is on the Turbo analog pressure gauge.

The full electronic cluster doesn't show up in the EVTMs until the 87 version. It shows a 22 ohm resister in the circuit.
    I'm guessing the original resister wire opened up and the fix was the resistor pic you posted?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by softtouch; 10-13-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

This is a common issue. As a matter of fact, another member here and I were just discussing it. I'll see if I can get him to chime in.
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My 86 had a full digital cluster. It beeped non stopped and drove me nuts. I replaced the sending unit and it still read low. Wish is still had the parts. The fix was to pull the correct sending unit from a junkyard car with the digital cluster. It had that same resistor inline.

I remeber the digital dash sending unit was larger then the standard cluster.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Softouch is correct. Your resistor is indeed a 22 ohm unit and was part of a TSB where it was installed in conjunction with the the smaller style sender and this resistor block in place of the larger style.sender. This was done on many cars along the assembly line later on from what I can find...

The senders themselves are antiquated 60s technology being used with late 70s/early 80s tech digital dashes wherein the resistance values don't actually jove too well. The results? A low oil pressure chime when pressure is known and confirmed to be good.

My own personal example is my 87. Full digital dash. Swapped back to the larger style sender. In fact based upon some research by one of the members here (Cougar5.0) I now run the Autometer 2241... It STILL goes off on very hot, and humid days at around 20 PSI at idle... Awesome.

Read the following

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...otaged-by-Ford

Before I actually swap the entire harness for the very clean one in my garage, I'm going to swap just the lead wire to the sender.

Mustangs Unlimited carries it. 4 bux.

I've also thought about using the new style senders designed in the late 90s and swapping to that style lead wire.... The new style sender has the same thread size....
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon