Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to kill, repair and not kill again an A9L in an 88 and possibly others.

Feedback Score

The 87 EVTM still shows a pic of the 5.0L CFI engine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Clutch switch pics from a Fox pedal set

Pedal side
    IMG_1709 copy.JPG
    IMG_1710 copy.JPG
    gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you Gumby. Now for the change of direction of this thread as I believe we have confirmed what has been discussed.

1. An A9L can easily be killed when installed in an 88 Thunderbird/Cougar and probably a Mark VII. It is safe to install one in an 86 and 87 as there is no pin 30 connection (I would like to verify this with a car and a multimeter vs just the EVTM).

2. Do not use a Mustang O2 sensor harness, it looks like that was fords easy button for selecting either the starter circuit or sigrtn for pin 30 in what is probably the simplest easy to change harness during assembly. This was probably cheaper than designing two different engine harnesses for the Mustang.

Now whats next, finding the cleanest solution to completely integrate all three switches on the clutch pedals into our cars. This will provide a clutch safety switch for both the start circuit for safety during starting using the red/blue wire and the clutch switch for the pin 30 circuit using the brown/white wire and connecting the second switch for the cruise control kill however this one is the least important at the moment.

Observations so far.

1. There is no jumper under the dash for the Clutch switches like there is in a TC, Mustang, Ranger or any other ford car that had both.

2. The red/blue and brown/white wire that we need to interface to are only a couple inches away from the clutch switches, the brown/white needing cut from the starter switch.

3. One unfortunate thing is the lack of transmission nss wires at the dash harness plug connecting to the transmission tunnel harness. For myself I don't care because my sn95 transmission does not have this switch. I still don't know if the TC harness has the wires at this plug and if its tunnel harness has provisions for the transmission switch. In the mustang world you can easily replace your tunnel harness with one that has the wires and the dash harness has the wires already in it. That harness doesn't have the same dash plug as our cars and is to long as it connects in the driver kick panel.

4. Running the light green wire off the cruise control module through the other switch looks like all thats required.

Now to procure some plugs and a clutch switch.
    One 88