Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to kill, repair and not kill again an A9L in an 88 and possibly others.

Feedback Score

From the 93&94 Mustang EVTMs
    The 93 Mustang 5.0L with the manual trans. The O2s and pin 30 do share connector C101.

The 94 Mustang has several changes. They went to the AODE transmission and 4-wire O2's.
    There are 5 different resistances between pin 30 and signal return depending on where the gear selector is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

In 94 and 95 the EEC controlled the automatic transmission so it would want to know what gear the transmission was in (AODE). The 89-93 MAF computers could care less what transmission was behind the engine. All they needed to know was whether or not the transmission was in gear.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by softtouch View Post
    From the 93&94 Mustang EVTMs
    The 93 Mustang 5.0L with the manual trans. The O2s and pin 30 do share connector C101.

The 94 Mustang has several changes. They went to the AODE transmission and 4-wire O2's.
    There are 5 different resistances between pin 30 and signal return depending on where the gear selector is.
    So we agree that the mustang o2 harness is significantly different than our cars and should never be used? It is even longer and the harness plugs in by the evap canister while our cars is behind the intake manifold.

interesting to learn how an MLPS actually works.

Do you have an evtm for an 87 mustang?
    One 88

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looking at the 86 evtm it looks like it shows a pin 30 connection to the start circuit but perhaps it is incomplete? It shows the pin ending at c499 but I don’t see what this connects too. It does show an external diode. I cannot read Scott’s 87 evtm, it is too fuzzy.

The nifty thing about the 86 evtm it shows a jumper through c288 and references a neutral switch for a manual transmission. It is possible that the 86 v8 cars have the jumped out connector for the clutch pedals for the starter safety switch. Anyone have an 86 v8 car they want to look under the dash for a connector?
    One 88

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I may be oversimplifying the hell out of this but since it does not appear any of the wiring for PIN 30 runs through the O2 harness on our cars that you can clip the wire on PIN 30 and just add the same wiring that is in a Mustang for the clutch/transmission switch.

But I could be wrong. I'm not an electrical expert.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

I have:
    All the hard copy TBird/Cougar EVTMs for 83 thru 88.
    Hard copy 84 Shop manuals.
    On CD, Shop Manuals including EVTMs for all 93 & 94 Ford Mercury and Lincoln cars.
    On CD, Shop Manuals including EVTMs for 2001 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis.

You will find lots of anomalies when digging into these EVTMs. C499 is not shown in the components locations list on page 60.
    Pin 30 is not shown on the 5.0L EEC for 84 & 85, shows up on 86 not hooked to anything, disappears again on the 87 and shows up on 88 hooked to the start circuit.

On the 86 5.0L Start/Ignition, I don't see any reference to a manual transmission. I only have that on the 2.3L Turbo page.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    I may be oversimplifying the hell out of this but since it does not appear any of the wiring for PIN 30 runs through the O2 harness on our cars that you can clip the wire on PIN 30 and just add the same wiring that is in a Mustang for the clutch/transmission switch.

But I could be wrong. I'm not an electrical expert.
    That is my whole point with this thread yes. I am trying to figure out a solution for all three years of 5.0 sefi cars and find as close to stock a solution. Like the 86 EVTM showing a jumper for the start wire that is potentially able to plug right in to a clutch pedal which from what I gather is how a t5 swap goes on a turbo car. I have verified that jumper is not in my 88 dash harness.
    One 88

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by softtouch View Post
    I have:
    All the hard copy TBird/Cougar EVTMs for 83 thru 88.
    Hard copy 84 Shop manuals.
    On CD, Shop Manuals including EVTMs for all 93 & 94 Ford Mercury and Lincoln cars.
    On CD, Shop Manuals including EVTMs for 2001 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis.

You will find lots of anomalies when digging into these EVTMs. C499 is not shown in the components locations list on page 60.
    Pin 30 is not shown on the 5.0L EEC for 84 & 85, shows up on 86 not hooked to anything, disappears again on the 87 and shows up on 88 hooked to the start circuit.

On the 86 5.0L Start/Ignition, I don't see any reference to a manual transmission. I only have that on the 2.3L Turbo page.

Thank you for your help with this thread.

Here is the page I was looking at in the 86 EVTM that shows the transmission reference. I wonder if this is just a huge mistake or if the dash harness was partially the same as the TC minus the cluster plug of course. Also an arrow pointing to the jumper I wonder is under the 86 5.0 dash?

035a.jpg
    One 88

Feedback Score

Well I do see a reference to a manual trans after you pointed it out for the second time.
    I'm pretty sure there is no manual trans jumper.
    It started in the 85 where they had two NSS switches side by side( with no manual reference), which didn't make any sense either.
    They cleaned it up in the 87 EVTM.

As for C288 jumper, looks like the anti theft feature went away by 88. It still shows as a feature in the 87 EVTM.
    Maybe the jumper is still there, just not shown on the diagram. Pic on page 175-1 in 88 EVTM.
    Last edited by softtouch; 10-11-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I wonder how much of the EVTM was just copy and paste.? Like the 88 EVTM having info on the C3 transmission.
    One 88