Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 84 Tbird temp gauge

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Muiscmaster View Post
    How do I know what the red engine light is indicating? The previous owner scanned it and it said bad EGR, so he replaced it and the light is still on
    The light is normally on when you turn the key on without starting (no oil pressure). Then goes off after starting and oil pressure comes up.
    To isolate which is bad, pull the wires off the sensors (actually switches).

Oil pressure switch has one wire (white/red stripe) and is near the oil filter.
    Temp. switch has one wire (red/white stripe) and is in the intake manifold. Near the distributor. I think.

Temp sensor has two wires (light green/yellow stripe & black/white stripe) also in the intake manifold. I think. This is used by the ECU and does not turn on the red light.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Thanks for the diagram

Feedback Score

Musicmaster,
    Going off of what you said about the car going 67 when your speedo only says 55 (I think that's the order you gave), that's an overage of around 22%. That would mean you were running a tire that was 22% larger in diameter than stock. That would be around a 31" truck tire. I don't think there's any way your variation is completely due to tire size. How likely is it that someone has swapped gears in the rear end? Or put an AOD in it when it originally had a 3sp? That's just a big variation. That's more than most of the 4x4 guys deal with when they go to way-oversized tires without correcting their speedo's. I've got 32" tires on my 2wd truck and it should have 30.5", so that's a 5% increase. At 67 indicated on the speedo, I'm really going 70 by the GPS. Let us know if you figure out what's really throwing it off. Later.

Feedback Score

Well, I re-read your earlier post, and I had the order backward. So everything should be opposite from what I said earlier. Your speedo is showing 22% too high. That logic says you're running a tire that's 22% too small in diameter. That too is almost an impossibility, and you already said your tires were slightly taller than stock. I'm betting you've had lower gears installed in the rear, and the speedo was never corrected. Or you've got a 3sp trans when it should have been an AOD. Someone else confirm that my logic is going in the right direction. Maybe some of this helped....

Feedback Score

The current tires are slightly larger than factory specs so none of this makes any sense. Are these cable driven speedos?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The Speedo is digital on the 85-88 years, mechanical on the 83-84 years (with digital being an option)

And you can order gears just like you can with a mustang. Pop out the speed sensor(or Speedo cable) pop off the old gear and install a new one. Its really not that hard or expensive if it bugs ya that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com