Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Brought home an LX parts car today, or did I?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Egrs are pretty much all the same. It shouldn't effect idle too much, once the code is tripped, the computer should quit trying to use it.

It would only be an issue with the idle if the egr is stuck open and the computer thinks its closed.

Throw $50 buck at rock auto and do a basic tuneup and fix the little things you find.

Ive had really bad luck with parts store pumps. I think 4 out of 5 were bad out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 50RACER View Post
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! The brand new Delphi fuel pump that I installed was bad. Dropped the tank again today and installed a new Delphi / Walbro pump and after about half a dozen attempts where it would fire and quit (how would you feel if you'd been asleep for 10+ years?), she fired up and kept running. No smoke! It's idling a little rough though, but did get somewhat better the more it ran. It's giving me a NO EGR FLOW DETECTED code. Would that affect how it is running / idling? Can I take that off and just try to clean it up? Wonder if one off of a 90 Mustang GT is the same? I have one of those.
    Discovered that it also has a bad right front hard brake line.
    Making progress 50. Gotta be a good feeling. Keep at it, you’ll get it.
    87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter 3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates, Work In Progress....... ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ISTLCRUZ View Post
    Making progress 50. Gotta be a good feeling. Keep at it, you’ll get it.
    I'm not so sure that I want to. I have a little over $1000 in this car now. If I buy a brake line, EGR valve ( if that is the problem), and then 4 tires, I am at the very least into this car for $1500 for a car that is not worth more than probably $2000 on the best day. Once it gets moving, there are likely more issues to crop up.
    Anyone here interested in this car for $1500?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 50RACER View Post
    I'm not so sure that I want to. I have a little over $1000 in this car now. If I buy a brake line, EGR valve ( if that is the problem), and then 4 tires, I am at the very least into this car for $1500 for a car that is not worth more than probably $2000 on the best day. Once it gets moving, there are likely more issues to crop up.
    Anyone here interested in this car for $1500?
    I can see where you're coming from. If you don't intend to keep the car for yourself then you'll end up underwater by fixing it before selling it. I know I've got more $$$$ in my car than I could sell it for, but it's a car I always intended on keeping, not flipping.

Also the EGR valve/EGR valve position sensor from any 86-93 5.0 Mustang is the same as the one used on 86-88 5.0 Thunderbirds/Cougars.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    I can see where you're coming from. If you don't intend to keep the car for yourself then you'll end up underwater by fixing it before selling it. I know I've got more $$$$ in my car than I could sell it for, but it's a car I always intended on keeping, not flipping.

Also the EGR valve/EGR valve position sensor from any 86-93 5.0 Mustang is the same as the one used on 86-88 5.0 Thunderbirds/Cougars.
    Exactly. It's not a car I ever intended on keeping. I'd like to see someone rescue it. I think I am going to try for a couple of weeks to sell it as is, and if it doesn't sell, I'll just part it out. If I do, I'll probably end up keeping some of the stuff for my TC, especially from the interior. Perfect headliner, visors and the best console lid that I've seen.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Hopefully someone here with the space buys it and saves the car. It just seems too nice to part out.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

I saw you posted the car ( or maybe it was someone who has a very similar car, in VA) on a fox Tbird facebook page. If not for the distance, i would consider rocking down, buying it from you, and using it as a platform to build my project, as my current red 87 Tbird is a bit more ... rusty, for wear.

Good luck with the sale. It would be a great starting point.