Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The wheels I have are 17" 98 GT rims front and rear. I just did not want to use spacers but going through the all the work to do a Lincoln diff and only use stock Lincoln parts may be a going backwards thing even though the rears rotors are vented 10.5". I have SN95 front 95 spindle/hub and 99 calipers and rear axles/calipers/rotors from a 99 also. Maybe I just need to upgrade to 31 spline SN95 axles and use a 1" spacer?
    1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    Good read, not sure it answers the question but some good info.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...g-tech/1089223

I can vouch for Chris Neighbors. This guy is a millwright and one hell of a machinist/fabricator. He rebuilt my T-5 back in 2007ish when I lived in SE Texas and I have abused the hell out of that trans.
    Link no good. Says page not found
    1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 86caprirs View Post
    The wheels I have are 17" 98 GT rims front and rear. I just did not want to use spacers but going through the all the work to do a Lincoln diff and only use stock Lincoln parts may be a going backwards thing even though the rears rotors are vented 10.5". I have SN95 front 95 spindle/hub and 99 calipers and rear axles/calipers/rotors from a 99 also. Maybe I just need to upgrade to 31 spline SN95 axles and use a 1" spacer?
    I've got 17" x 8" 95 Cobra wheels(Same dimensions as your GT wheels) on my '83 with 245/45F - 255/45R tires. 94-98 axles, etc. 1" more track per side would probably require me to roll/trim sheetmetal.

Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Link fixed.

You can run these spacers with no issues:

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/W...5-mm-P872.aspx

All I can say is that the Mark VII rear brakes are specific and there is not much aftermarket support. The 94-04 Mustang rear brakes have a ton of aftermarket support. I am pretty sure that the brake bias is not good with the SN95 fronts and the larger Mark rear calipers. SN95 setup is 66mm front with a 38mm rear. Mark VII is a 73mm up front and a 45mm in the rear. If you run a 66mm up front and a 45mm out back your brake bias is gonna be really bad even with a manual proportioning valve. Been there done this and all I can say is try to stick with how the factory set the brakes up and do not mix and match if you do not understand how brake bias and ratios work. You have to start factoring in the MC bore size as well and want to end up with around a 3.2:1 ratio or so. A smaller ratio means a shorter, firmer pedal. A bigger ratio means a longer, lighter pedal.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Personally, I would run the SN95 width axles with spacers. You can find people selling aftermarket axles fairly easily. If you decide that you want a change of pace with wheels, you can remove the spacers, and get an SN95 wheel that will fill out the wheel wells very easily. If you run longer axles, it will limit wheel options.

With that said, years ago, I used the 91-92 Mark VII axles, brackets and rotors. The calipers, abutment brackets and lines are the same as the TC. It was a nice fit with the wheels I had, but if I wanted anything wider than a stock wheel, I would have been pushed out of the wheel well.

It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

So then I should look into SN95 5 lug axles and rotors that will work with the turbo coupe housing? I might have to do custom axles because it is a 31 spline carrier. Then swap the fronts to the 94-95 SN95 spindles with the twin piston calipers from a later SN95?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I thought it was pretty well covered already in the thread so far, but anyways.

The 8.8 housing in the TC and the 94-98 SN95 is the same. The axle length is also the same. To go with SN95 axles, you have a few options. One option is to convert completely to SN95 brakes, using the mounting brackets on the ends of the axle housing, the caliper brackets, calipers and rotors which would be my choice. Another option is to use SN95 axles, and have your rotors drilled to the lug pattern.

For the 31 spline, you will have to get a set of aftermarket SN95 axles. You may luck out and find some on forums cheaply. I think Rock Auto actually had a few inexpensive options also.

Certainly grab the 94-95 SN95 spindles. The 99-04 front calipers require a small amount of grinding, but it all goes together fairly easily.
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well I have 95 front spindles and 99+ calipers. I just need to remember what year Mustang I got all the rear brakes and axles from. I know I bought a complete axle and got the parts from it. I may also look for a 8.8" carrier with 28 spline spiders.

So my park brakes should work with the sn95 stuff then?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

http://www.sn95source.com/topic/892-...-irs-75-or-88/

I found this and it was helpful. So even if I got the rear calipers from a 99-04 Stang, I will just need the 94-98 rear Caliper bracket.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Well I have 95 front spindles and 99+ calipers. I just need to remember what year Mustang I got all the rear brakes and axles from. I know I bought a complete axle and got the parts from it. I may also look for a 8.8" carrier with 28 spline spiders.

So my park brakes should work with the sn95 stuff then?
    The rear brakes are all the same from 94-04, as long as they are from a stick axle. The important thing to know is the year of the axles. I checked my 95 axles for a part number, but I couldn't tell if there was a number on them or not. They have a bunch of dirt caked on.

As far as your park brake goes, I don't have much information. I've done all of my 5-lug work on Turbo Coupes, which already have disk brakes. I'm pretty sure CoolCats.net would have some helpful information, or a search on the forum.

http://www.sn95source.com/topic/892-...-irs-75-or-88/

I found this and it was helpful. So even if I got the rear calipers from a 99-04 Stang, I will just need the 94-98 rear Caliper bracket.
    The information in this is very hard to decipher. LMR has a rear axle guide that is a bit more useful, and should help you identify your axles.

https://lmr.com/products/mustang-axle-guide

Also, the caliper brackets are the same between 94-04.

These brackets came off of a 2001 GT:

And this shows the 94 part number:

So as long as you have the 94-98 axles, you can use whatever years SN95 brakes you have.
    It's Gumby's fault.