Thread: C4/FMX Question

Feedback Score

Default C4/FMX Question

Hey all,
    Been "years" since I've been here, so please excuse my absence. I hopefully am about to purchase an 86 Cougar with what sounds like a burnt-up C5 trans. I will not be financially able to afford a rebuild on the C5. I have found both C4's and FMX's in my area for pretty reasonable prices. I haven't found any C5's. Oh, and it will be going behind the 3.8. My question is, are either of those a good candidate to swap, if I'm on a tight budget? I've read that the C5 is basically a C4 with a lockup converter. Would I need to swap the flywheel? I don't believe that Ford ever put a C4 behind the 3.8 from the factory, did they? Anyway, I appreciate any advice. Glad to hopefully have a reason to return to the site. Take care.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Do a 3.8 t-5 from a 94-98 mustang.

Pretty much bolts in. Swap pedals, add a flywheel/clutch and buy the trans for $150 at a u pull it yard
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What was the total setup to use that v6 t5?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Use 94 up mustang parts. That's pretty much it. There's a sticky here somewhere with a full write up.

The driveshaft will be too short.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score

IMO if deciding between a C4 and FMX, I would choose the C4. Plenty of shift and rebuild kits available .