Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: LED Bulb Conversion (Whole Car)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The bulb is a 194. No burn marks anywhere. I tested again today with a different LED bulb (this is now the third one) and again the fuse popped immediately. Here are the LED bulbs I tried so far (leftmost bulb is stock):

Quickshift...your theory sounds about right. In the '84 I have those center tab clips pushed all the way down so that they don't even touch the bulb base. The stock incandescent bulb still works just fine but the LEDs still blow the fuse. I do not remember the center tabs testing as 'hot' but will try testing again when I can.

Feedback Score

I am guessing the lamp you posted a picture of in post #48 is your spare part. The one with the wires to the connector cut off.

On the spare lamp, skin some insulation off the wire ends so you can attach one of your OHM meter leads.
    Determine if there is continuity between the ground or the hot wire and either of the center tabs in the socket. For one of the wires you will have to push the switch button.
    If you find there is NO connection between the ground or hot wire and the center tabs, I have a modification to the led I will suggest you try.

On the 194 bulb I have, the wires come out the end of the glass envelope and wrap to opposite sides of the glass envelope.

On the LEDs pictures you posted, the wires come out of the fat part of the envelope and go down and wrap around to the opposite side. So the contact wires are on both sides of the plug-in part of the envelope. The wires look to be a heaver gauge than on the 194 and maybe a little closer to the center.
    I suspect the wires are bridging the gap between the center and outer tabs in the socket. If the center tab is not connected to either hot or ground in the socket then the LED wires bridging the gap is only a problem if they bridge both gaps on the same side of the socket.

I suggest you try cutting the LED wires so they don't wrap around to the opposite side. Hopefully the wires are stiff enough to not buckle when you plug it in.
    You may have to figure out a way to keep the wire from buckling.

Or another thought, a way to insulate the wires so they only make contact on opposite sides of the socket.

Last edited by softtouch; 06-10-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I got a chance to work on this today. Of the two center clips, one was indeed 12v+. So that is the problem for sure...even with both center tabs bent all the way down, something must have still been making contact.

Taking softtouch's suggestion, I taped off a test bulb so that only one of the two contacts are showing, similar to a stock 194 bulb:

And then hooked up the battery with crossed fingers...

...annnddd SUCCESS!!!

It's not the bulb I really wanted to use but it'll do for now. I'll likely use some liquid Teflon tape on the desired bulb and try that at a later time. For now I'm just doing a little victory dance.

Thanks to softtouch and everyone else that gave suggestions.

Feedback Score

Good news!!
    I think the led bulbs only working one way in the socket is a voltage polarity thing. Since the D in LED stands for Diode.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by softtouch View Post
    Good news!!
    I think the led bulbs only working one way in the socket is a voltage polarity thing. Since the D in LED stands for Diode.
    yep, that's correct. Some of the "fancier" bulbs have a regulator of sorts inside that can change the direction of polarity on the fly as I understand it but traditionally it's always a good idea to test your LED bulbs before you put the sockets all back together and button everything up... Go ahead, ask me how I know

Eric that looks great. Was that the last bulb? Everything fully converted now?
    --Steve
    1988 Cougar V6
    2012 F-150 3.7L
    2011 Mustang 3.7L

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yeah Steve, it's all done now. Still have to aim the headlamps on the '84 and take some photos of everything. Hoping to have that done this week sometime, weather permitting.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EricCoolCats View Post
    Yeah Steve, it's all done now. Still have to aim the headlamps on the '84 and take some photos of everything. Hoping to have that done this week sometime, weather permitting.
    It's been almost two months Eric. TWO MONTHS
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

You are correct, sir.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lots of time spent sitting in the car staring at the beautiful glove box LED light.
    tbirdregistry.com