Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED Bulb Conversion (Whole Car)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

What turn signal flasher did you end up using when you changed over to LEDs?
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Have to use an electronic flasher with the ground wire. It won't work ungrounded. Fortunately there are plenty of places around the flasher to make a good, permanent ground.
    Also, it seems that you can use incandescent bulbs with the electronic flasher with no penalty.

Speaking of...turn signal demo, full LED conversion:

http://www.coolcats.net/ximages/84leds/84ts.mp4

The lights aren't really that pink. Difficult to capture these on a camera but you can get the basic idea.

This is what it looks like when you have a mix of bulbs...incandescent on the left, LED on the right:

http://www.coolcats.net/ximages/84leds/84ts_old.mp4

Feedback Score

Looks really good with the conversion.

Have you changed the headlights over yet and if so how do you like them?

Most of the conversions I have seen so far they didn't have the dash dimmable which is a no go for me.

And there is my second post after lurking here a while.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

There is an LED headlamp in this photo:

And in this photo:

Difficult to tell, no?

...but you can definitely tell here:

They still need aimed so I haven't gotten photos of the full headlamp set yet. I'll get those when I can. So far so good, though. This particular brand uses such a stock-looking assembly that it's practically impossible to know it's LED, even if you're right up on it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EricCoolCats View Post
    Have to use an electronic flasher with the ground wire. It won't work ungrounded. Fortunately there are plenty of places around the flasher to make a good, permanent ground.
    Also, it seems that you can use incandescent bulbs with the electronic flasher with no penalty.

Speaking of...turn signal demo, full LED conversion:

http://www.coolcats.net/ximages/84leds/84ts.mp4

The lights aren't really that pink. Difficult to capture these on a camera but you can get the basic idea.

This is what it looks like when you have a mix of bulbs...incandescent on the left, LED on the right:

http://www.coolcats.net/ximages/84leds/84ts_old.mp4
    I have Thunderchicken's old sequential turn signal box. I wonder if the LEDs would work with it.

I'm not totally fond of the LED headlamps. Too blue for my taste.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

You might get lucky with that sequential unit and just replace the flasher with the electronic one. If it were me, I'd definitely try it.

My headlights are actually bright white with a bluish hint but they don't photograph like that. I really wanted something a little yellower. In the future there might be replacement bulbs in the ~4500K range and I'll swap over to them instead, but for now these are good for my tastes.

I'd think for your situation, there would be plenty of color ranges available for those bulbs...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I've yet to find an LED headlamp bulb that I think is close enough to the stock light.

I've got that whole "it looks stock with the hood shut" vibe to protect .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Eric - what did you have to do as far as the wiring goes for the headlights? I've been considering this, but I'm leery of hacking into the harness.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The bulbs in mine were pre-wired for stock pigtails, so I needed to do nothing. Some of the aftermarket setups use an H4-style wiring style, which requires some type of adapter or harness to work in our cars. What I found is that it's buyer beware...read the descriptions to make sure they're compatible with the stock wiring and, if not, that they include an adapter harness. Most of the quality ones do, though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

So Eric, where did you get those headlights?? Those are exactly like what I've been looking for.

86' T/C 2.3L
    86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
    04' Monte Carlo 3.4L
    16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo