Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED Bulb Conversion (Whole Car)

Feedback Score

How hard is it to remove the dash cluster to replace the bulbs in an 84?
    84 COUGAR/88HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
    71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by QUICKSHIFT View Post
    How hard is it to remove the dash cluster to replace the bulbs in an 84?
    Ummm...I'm not gonna sugar coat it...it's not real fun. Worst part is disconnecting the headlamp switch knob and the speedo cable. Amazingly, Ford actually planned for that and there's enough room to get your hand in the proper spots to reach everything. But it's still no picnic.

Once those are done, though, and the dash trim panel is removed, it's easy enough to get to the cluster. I never removed mine completely, just reached the illumination bulb holders and swapped out bulbs. One thing about LED bulbs is that you have to test them before putting things back together. The bulbs sometimes won't light up in one direction...you have to remove it, flip it around, then it should work fine. But you have to test all that before putting the dash cluster back in. Trust me on that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

More fresh photos...

Dome light with map lights:

Console:

Front side marker:

Front marker:

Both front markers together:

Rear license plate lamp:

Taillamp:

Feedback Score

I defy you to swap the glove box light. I tried twice and fried two led bulbs!
    84 COUGAR/88HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
    71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!

Feedback Score

Just two bulbs in the dash cluster?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by QUICKSHIFT View Post
    I defy you to swap the glove box light. I tried twice and fried two led bulbs!
    LOL, yeah that one is a little tricky. I haven't burned any LED bulbs but blew plenty of fuses. Even when probed with a test light, that socket shorts and pops the fuse. Don't know what to do there. It's the very last bulb I have to convert.

Just two bulbs in the dash cluster?
    No, four for illumination in the base cluster.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by EricCoolCats View Post
    LOL, yeah that one is a little tricky. I haven't burned any LED bulbs but blew plenty of fuses. Even when probed with a test light, that socket shorts and pops the fuse. Don't know what to do there. It's the very last bulb I have to convert.

No, four for illumination in the base cluster.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up

Looks really nice Eric.

That console lamp is so white and bright instead of that tired yellowish look and those taillights and marker lights just look amazing. The more I look, the more you are convincing me to re-think this.
    1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed
    One of 1,246 built

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yeah, the console light is an amazing difference. I got an eBay bulb (57) for that. In real life, it's still a bit yellow-ish but that's the nature of that light cover anyhow.

I found a photo of the heater panel with the original bulb:

Compared to the LED bulb version:

The old bulb showed the heater side color as more of a red...with the LED, it's more pinkish. That's due to the 6000K light range I'm sure but it's something to consider for an '83-84 car. Haven't tried the 1985-88 manual panel yet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I did this conversion to all of my interior bulbs last year ... big difference. I can get in the car at night and with the door courtesy lights, roof light, and floor lights, everything is lit up. I still need to go through the process of converting the exterior ones though.