Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small town service

Feedback Score

I use the chain auto parts stores for buying cans of brake clean on sale or car wax when they are clearancing it out. Gave up on using them for actual parts a good while ago.

There is a small, long-time independent, parts store close by that is affiliated with CarQuest but still has the same guys at the counter running it that they have always had. Place is always busy. They obviously cannot carry everything but they WILL find it and get it there fast based on my numerous experiences with them. That is why all the local repair garages go there and pass the chain stores by.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've finally been finishing the head gasket/timing chain on my '87 3.8. I just find the exact part I need beforehand, put it in the online cart, print out the cart, and take it in the store for them to lookup. Worked pretty well except for one part the employee fat fingered and gave me the wrong part (correct part type, wrong application). Now I've learned to double check all PNs before leaving!

The plastic AOD TV bushing at the engine fell apart when put it back in. Turned to the googles to try and find the proper bushing. Found where a brass bushing had replaced the POS plastic piece, but the Coolcat website explicitly left out my '87 as being a candidate. I decided to just head to the dealer and see if by some off chance they had one in stock and see if it fit. The counter guy was younger than my 'bird and was having issues navigating the menus to find the bushing. Eventually he called in a gray beard who knew the plastic PN by heart. While the first guy was ringing it up, the gray beard came from the back room with the brass bushing (that the first guy looked up in his system with the correct PN, but couldn't find it). $33, but I didn't have to wait one to come in from and online vendor.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    I look up the part # I want on the auto parts store website, see if my local store has it, write the part # down, go to the store, and ask for the part number. I get the exact thing I want every time because I cut out the guy who doesn't know what he's looking for.
    Pretty much this.

Outside of consumables, I rarely even shop at my local part places. If I do, I tell them what part number I want.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Pretty much this.

Outside of consumables, I rarely even shop at my local part places. If I do, I tell them what part number I want.
    Stuff I don't need in a hurry = online

Brake pads I need today = parts store
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

^^

Has 3 20+year-old Volvos. Pretty rare to find ANY hard parts "same day".
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    ^^

Has 3 20+year-old Volvos. Pretty rare to find ANY hard parts "same day".
    Maybe brake pads....

Same day is for daily driver parts. Unless you're dding a 20+ year old Volvo.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6