Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MK8 and mass air sensor tied to an a9p eec

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

C&L MAFs reuse the stock electronics from an 89-93 5.0 Mustang MAF. You put the electronics in the C&L housing. The C&L unit has different size sample tubes that change the amount of air passing over the MAF sensor element, "calibrating" the signal back to the computer to compensate for larger injectors. This process works well for up to 30lb injectors.

I discovered that the 24lb injectors on my car were too small when a friend hooked up his quarter horse to my car. Under high load, high rpm conditions the 24lb injectors were hitting 90% duty cycle. It's better to be in the 80% range. Swapped to 30lb red top injectors (used in 89-92 Thunderbird SCs) and I've yet to see over 75-80% duty cycle under the same conditions. It's a bit overkill but it's very safe.

As far as a stock A9P controlling 30lb injectors with no tune, yes it'll work. Here's my car idling after a cold start. It has 30lb red top injectors, 76mm C&L MAF, stock replacement Motorcraft fuel pressure regulator, and NO computer tuning done. https://youtu.be/Z92w1Y0-E_4
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

ok,, so i have the ebay maf which skunk said its for the sellers application plus for late 90's / early 2000's trucks.....
    and...
    i have 3 MKVIII mafs....

so..

dont i have enough mafs lying around that if i buy the C&L,, one of my maf's should work?,, assuming that i also upgrade to 30lb injectors? and i work in the correct sample tube??

am i tracking this right?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

also,,

the larger the sample tube,, the leaner you are able to calibrate,,
    the smaller the sample tube,,, the richer you are able to calibrate,,

and,,,,

do you feel like the sample tube could be fabricated "as-bult" in my own shop to achieve a better running feel?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

here are the maf's i have

the ebay one -xl3f-12b579-ba

two MKviii-- f3vf-12b579-aa

one u/k which i think might be a stock stang one,, smaller tube than the mk8' - f5uf-12b579-ba

which one to use on the C&L?

Feedback Score

None of those will work for you. Your unknown is for a 96 truck. For any of them you will still need to define the Transfer function in the ECU.

I took a quick glance and any of those meters will run you lean below 1.4 volts and pig rich above that voltage. If you run Mark8 computer with Mark8 MAF you can tweak from there with sample tubes.

John

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    None of those will work for you. Your unknown is for a 96 truck. For any of them you will still need to define the Transfer function in the ECU.

I took a quick glance and any of those meters will run you lean below 1.4 volts and pig rich above that voltage. If you run Mark8 computer with Mark8 MAF you can tweak from there with sample tubes.

John
    just to confirm,,,

if i find the mustang maf,, and move forward i am going to be able to run fine with the right C&L sample tube,,

correct?

Feedback Score

Yes but specifically an 89-93 mustang.

John

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Or this and this.
    Ultimate control and part compatibility. I have a similar setup, I can share my tune with you and you should only need to swap the MAF transfer function for your Specific MAF and set the displacement to match your 331. Maybe a couple other small tweaks in the timing tables.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

[QUOTE=TheFoeYouKnow;, I can share my tune with you and you should only need to swap the MAF transfer function for your Specific MAF s.[/QUOTE]

thats nice of you,, and thanks a lot!

i am avoiding going down the road of software for my youngest son,, this is going to be his car and although we both have to deal with things geeky all the time,, we'd rather keep this as simple as possible. this will be his daily driver ...... soon enough hopefully.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I think it would make an invaluable learning opportunity. Digging your hands into a tune is the best way to really understand why an engine computer does what it does, how it makes it decisions, and what information is used and adapted to influence its judgment. You learn how it thinks. What I've learned tuning has made me a more effective technician, especially where an ECM becomes involved.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)