Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1983 5.0 throttle body engine stalling issues, any ideas?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

yup, thats the fuel pres test port,, the regulator is the round gold thing,, and apparently it has been replaced sometime in the past,, unless you see an allen head screw down in that hole.

so,,, you know whats coming to mind now.................
    something that seems to always be the problem when everything else seems right??

Ignition switch.,,,,

its not easy to install if your a tad lean on wrenching so get a trusted friend to change it out.

its really worth shot gunning a part this cheap to see "if" it fixes the issue.

something is over heading within your 11mile trip to work... again i am speculating something is over heating based on what you said.............

oh,, heck,, by the way.........

do you have a smog pump down on the lower left of your motor.?

remove belt, grab the smog pump pully and spin it,, if its binding up,, that could be adding some load on the engine,, so that when you are driving along and you happen to let off the gas coasting down hill or something, the extra load will litterally slow down the rpm enough to shut off the car.

this "feel" test i mention is only best done when the engine is hot unfortunatly.

once upon a time i threw a belt a couple times because of the smog pump pully locking up.

you can short belt the engine by removing the smog pump,, and the plastic impellar on the face,, then route a shorter belt on, the belt will barely clear the metal case of the smog and you can just leave the smog pump on the car.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

i made a termometer out of that automatic choke pull off ,, see the thread in the lounge about a couple weeks ago.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

by the way,, you should have a small "ish" magic little box somewhere that is called the ignition module. its shown in a haynes manual for EECIII systems.

Feedback Score

When I had my 83 5.0 that would die randomly, it was a cracked wire on the crank sensor. If I recall, there is a harness the runs down the front of the engine. If you jiggle that while it's running, and it stalls, that's your issue.
    CoogarXR

1986 LTD Wagon
    1985 Cougar XR-7

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Those cars have a odd sensor. By brothers went bad and wouldn't start again ever. Crank sensor may be correct, or the wiring to it. Iginition module, or its wiring is another good culprit. I would suspect if it was a binding smog pump, the engine should restart easily.
    Mike

Feedback Score

Hello guys,

Thanks for all the help. Ive borrowed the in-laws spare vehicle this past week and been getting by with it as we planned what to do with he Cougar.
    I bought a MSD ignition and have a mechanically inclined friend that's going to help me install that in the next few days. We figured it's the most likely cause of all this and if not at least it will help the car going forward.
    Ill post some updates as I have them.

-Dennis