Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subframe connectors, build, buy, advice?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have the Global West units on both of my cars as well as the Griggs upper sub frames on both of the cars which are shown in Post #8. The uppers require some cutting of the floor but stiffen the car up dramatically versus just the lowers. I can jack the car up on any corner until it is on one wheel and my doors will open and close and maintain their gaps.

Feedback Score

I'm a bit confused, where do the upper plates go?

i have a plasma cutter, if trimming is what it takes, thats what it takes.

I'll admit, up until recently, I've always had full frame cars, and you can definitely tell the lack of a full frame when driving my red T and my torino. The torino is going pretty extreme, getting a cage, I really don't feel like pushing the Red T that far, I just want it to feel solid, and have a solid jacking point for when i put the 2 post under it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

PM me your email address and I will send you some info on the uppers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

So check out the installation instructions for a Fox Mustang here:

http://www.griggsracing.com/pdfFiles...compressed.pdf

Only thing different with our cars is the tube is three inches longer (see step 12). I did not install the ties between the uppers and lowers which you do for a torque arm setup and it also helps tie them together. My exhaust is completely in the way for a torque arm (3" tailpipes) and the Bird is not a track car just a street creeper.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

PM's replied to and info sent.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

mine are here

starts on page 9, post 86,, lots of pics.

i did this in a rather more simple manner to avoid ground clearance problems other subframes have.
    http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...-project/page9

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Global West units have zero ground clearance issues. They install on the outboard side of the existing front subframes.

http://www.globalwest.net/1980-88thunderbird.html

Select the subframe connectors (third down on right side) and the link to the installation instructions is a red rectangular box on the bottom right. I chose to use these based on the fact I cannot weld and so the guy that welds all of this stuff for me does not have to spend a bunch of time fabricating some which costs money. I prepped the car for the installation (cleaned up the locations where they were to be welded on) and took the car to him. Hour on the lift and $50 later I was headed back to the house to coat the welds.

If you can weld and have fabricating skills then making your own based off a couple of designs floating around this site is a great choice. Used to be a couple of threads with great pictures but it looks like they now have Photobucket disease.