Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cringe ...please don't flame ls swap coming soon

Feedback Score

Default Cringe ...please don't flame ls swap coming soon

Please don't tell me to use a 302 or 351 im a chevy guy but absolutely see the benefit of the fox body platform and you dont see tbirds anywhere unlike fox mustangs...really loking for suspention swap advice what fits what don't

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

start here with erics site
    http://www.coolcats.net/index.html

then come back over here and go to the section your asking questions about and dont forget to use the search function.
    and i'll even give you the link,
    http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...nsion-Steering

coming in with a high altitude tells us you came here with pre-disposed opinions, you were told wrong.
    starting off with "cringe" means you have had poor experience here in the past.
    instructing us on how we can be at your service is not really all that out of the ordinary of RTP Nc area folks.

nothing wrong with chevy, after all the 302 was designed by them.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jcassity View Post
    start here with erics site
    http://www.coolcats.net/index.html

then come back over here and go to the section your asking questions about and dont forget to use the search function.
    and i'll even give you the link,
    http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...nsion-Steering

coming in with a high altitude tells us you came here with pre-disposed opinions, you were told wrong.
    starting off with "cringe" means you have had poor experience here in the past.
    instructing us on how we can be at your service is not really all that out of the ordinary of RTP Nc area folks.

I'm originally from jersey lol... Didnt mean to come off as described was just afraid of the purist flaming me for putting a chevy in it .this is my first foxbody car and ive serched to alot of conflicting results so I was looking for input from experienced tbird people but thanks for the search advise and the link i hope it serves me well ...lots of misinformation on the web

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

We had a guy that liked the caddilac 500 motor. He didn't get too much crap.

The tbird is a fox chassis, meaning most stuff will fit with minor modifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score

hell, i fully support you here. one of the things im building is a 1950 ford pickup on top of C4 corvette chassis parts. I may go big block ford, i may go LS, i may even go Hemi if the mood hits me the right way that day.

I own a bunch of fords, and a few chevys, and i will say this, the LS engines are really an engineering marvel. GM did their homework on what worked well, what didnt on several different popular small blocks, and rolled it all into a beautiful small block.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Just don't road race an LS motor...lots of oiling issues. Other than that they are cheap, abundant, and build good power.

Feedback Score

Scott, would you care to 'splain that one??

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

GM had a 302 of their own, due to comply with a race sanctioning body's rule, but in no way was it anything like the Ford 302, nor is it true that GM designed or built the Ford 302.

Ford started using the 302 in 1968 I believe, but the basic design of the block predates that by nearly a decade, if memory serves me right.

The Windsor design could be quite powerful, the Saleen S7 used a 351w that was bored/stroked to a 427, with Cleveland heads. It was good for over 500 horsepower, and later on they did a TT setup and got well over 700, I believe..

But no, the ford 5.0 has nothing to do with GM.
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score

Yea the chevy 302 was built for trans am series . if my fogy memory serves me correct it was a 327 block with a 283 rotating assembly great lil motor high reving but ive do e the gen 1 sbc thing i really want to play with this turbo ls stuff .I built a 302 years ago for a customer of mine in a 86 f150 all edelbrock stuff full performer package cam heads intake carb it made 298 to the wheels with a aod and 38 inch mud tires and a 410 gear was kinda cool I dont dislike ford motors i was just brought up on bowties you know you like what your dad lokes lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Unless, you factor in that the same guy that worked at ford and built the 302, later moved onto gm and was head of a new engine project, which later became the ls motors...

Ever wonder why its the first chevy motor to use a ford spaced exhaust pattern? Or why the Chevy v-8 bell housing shares all but one bolt with a ford?

Personally, if you are starting from scratch, up to about 400hp cost wise isn't that much different. In already have a 302 (or three) so I'm not gonna bother with converting everything over to use a ls motor. If I ever get around to it, 400 hp will be plenty for a street car.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com